Milton Keynes Libraries - Library Customer Service Charter
This Customer Charter sets out the standards you should expect when you contact any of our libraries. It is designed to help you decide whether we are providing a good service and for you to let us know how we can improve. Our users are integral to us providing a quality customer service.
This document works in conjunction with the Milton Keynes Council Customer Service Pledge (PDF, 431KB) document.
Our Promise To You
- Be courteous, efficient and helpful at all times.
- We will wear our name badges and will give our names to our users.
- Continually look to make improvements to our service in consultation with customers and partners.
- Report back to customers how we have responded to their comments, complaints and compliments.
- Involve you in any significant changes or developments in the way we deliver services.
- Treat everyone as an individual and ensure personal information is treated confidentially.
- Ensure those with any special needs, specific hearing, sight or language requirements are able to access council services fully.
- Publicise our services and opening hours.
- Give at least four weeks’ notice of any change to charges of library facilities, fines and fees.
- Provide services and materials appropriate to the needs of the local community.
- Provide customer care training for all library staff and volunteers.
- Ensure that wherever possible, library buildings and services are accessible and welcoming to all.
- Work with volunteers to provide a Home Library Service for people unable to visit libraries due to disability, illness or age and provide other outreach services.
- Advise contacts as early as possible if mobile visits/stops have to be cancelled.
Response Performance Indicators for Enquiries
- Verbal – at the time of contact or in writing within 10 days with a full response by email or letter
- Telephone – to answer within 5 rings, or as soon as possible, responding at time of contact or within 10 days with a full response by email or letter
- Email / letter – full response within 10 days of receiving
- If we cannot send a substantive response within 10 days, we will send a message explaining why and give a realistic estimate of when a substantive response will be provided
Staff names will be given at all stages along with contact details.
What You Can Do to Help Us
- Show courtesy and respect to other library users and staff.
- Take care of library materials and equipment.
- Help us improve the service by, for example, contributing to library surveys or consultations. PLUS and Children’s PLUS surveys as well as an annual IT Survey, provide feedback about customer opinion to inform future delivery. We welcome comments and compliments in our comments books, comment forms and online comments form. We also welcome comments on our social media sites.
- Become a volunteer for Milton Keynes Libraries.
- Join or create a ‘friends’ group at your local library.
- Help by financial donations to help us reach out in new ways.
- Tell other people about libraries and how you have benefited from them.
- Carrying your library card whenever you visit the library and not lending it to anyone else.
- Look after your personal property in the library, keeping valuable items with you at all times.
If you are not satisfied with the level of service you have received:
- Speak with the library staff concerned
- If you wish to write a comment on any particular aspect of Milton Keynes Libraries, please ask for a comments form or complete the Libraries' online comment form.
- Should you continue to be dissatisfied with what has been done, or if the problem continues, then you can ask for a further investigation by a more senior person.
- If you are still not satisfied with the outcome, then you can contact your local Councillor, MP or Ombudsman.
All comments and feedback are recorded on the Council’s REACT system, which ensures centralised records of comments and feedback.
For further details or advice about the Council’s complaints procedure, please telephone: 01908 252752 or visit the Council website.
Library Customer Services Manager
Milton Keynes Libraries
555 Silbury Boulevard
Central Milton Keynes
Tel: 01908 254050 or Email us at Central Library.
Published January 2014
Last Updated: 11 March 2019