Library Room Hire
- Commercial - £15
- Not for Profit - £12
VAT is not charged on room bookings.
There is a 10% Discount for block bookings.
- Central Library
- Kingston Library
- Foyer Space
- Public Liability Insurance
- Paying your Room Hire Invoice
- Conditions of Hire
- Library Opening Hours
Contact details for general room hire enquiries
- If you have any queries regarding room hire (including long term hire) please call 01908 254204 or email the room booking administrator.
Where space allows, you can arrange the furniture to suit your needs in any of our rooms for hire. Please allow time for this when booking.
While every effort is made to provide facilities as advertised, we regret that they cannot be guaranteed.
555 Silbury Boulevard, Central Milton Keynes MK9 3HL
Children's Library Open Space - First Floor
Central Library has a bright, open area in the Children's Library available for hire at £12 per hour. It measures approximately 8m x 5m, can be partitioned off and is ideal for group activities. Tables and chairs are available for use.
54 Winchester Circle, The Kingston Centre, Milton Keynes MK10 0BA
Rooms at Kingston Library can be hired during normal library hours.
Kingston Library has one air-conditioned ground floor meeting pod available for hire.
- Seats 10 Boardroom Style
- Free WiFi
- Free Parking
- Presentation Equipment
- Flip Chart
- Disabled Toilet
- Wheelchair Access
You may like to consider hiring foyer space where you are visible to passing visitors. Foyers are available for hire at many of our libraries at a charge of £10 per hour.
- When hiring a room, it's your responsibility to ensure adequate Public Liability Insurance to cover use of the room by an individual or organisation and any visitors.
- You must show us evidence of this insurance if requested.
- If you don't have your own Public Liability insurance, we can provide cover, but an additional charge may be payable.
Milton Keynes Council has Public Liability Insurance to protect itself from claims that arise due to the negligent acts of its employees. However, you will be responsible for any claims that could arise due to negligence during your period of hire.
Please check your invoice for details on how to pay for your room hire. If you would like some help, please speak with the administrator on 01908 254204.
- All Library Meeting Room bookings must be submitted using the online form.
- The hire period must cover any time required to set up and close down your meeting and this time will be charged for.
- The hirer will be invoiced for the room hire charge by Milton Keynes Council.
- Hiring rooms outside opening hours will be charged at an enhanced hourly rate. Ask staff for details.
- In the event of an increase in hire charges, the rate will remain as confirmed at the time the booking, or block of bookings was made. An increase of the hire charges will occur 1st April each year and will be index linked to the RPI.
- The hirer should inform Library staff as soon as possible of the cancellation of any booking. There is a 25% non-refundable deposit.
- Milton Keynes Libraries reserves the right to cancel any booking at its discretion and to change or amend the terms and conditions of hire at any time without prior notice.
- Milton Keynes Libraries reserves the right to close the premises at any time for emergency or periodic maintenance and also when the premises are required for public elections or similar events.
- Individuals/organisations that are working with children and young people must show library staff a copy of their Child Protection Policy for teachers/tutors who are working with children or vulnerable adults. Evidence of this policy must be shown to library staff when you arrive at the library on the day of your booking.
- Milton Keynes Council has Public Liability Insurance to protect itself from claims that arise from claims due to the negligent acts of its employees.
- The hirer will indemnify themselves for any claims that could arise due to any negligence during the period of hire by the individual/organisation hiring the facilities. Should the hirer not have their own Public Liability cover, this can be provided by the Council, but an additional charge may be payable.
- The hirer of the Meeting Room will, at the end of the period of hire, leave the room in a clean and tidy condition and will properly dispose of all litter.
- The hirer of the Meeting Room will be held responsible for any damage to the room or contents during the period of hire, unless the loss or damage has been caused by an employee or agent of Milton Keynes Council, and will immediately on demand repay to Milton Keynes Council the cost of repair or replacement of the damaged property.
- The hirer shall not sublet or transfer this booking to any other person or organisation.
- Young people, 18 years and under, must be supervised by responsible adults at all times during the course of a booking.
- In cases of block booking, the user must not leave their own belongings or equipment on the premises.
- Approval for the use of libraries by political parties shall be determined by the nature of the occasion.
- No advertising or publicity material will be displayed inside or outside the building without the prior approval of library staff.
- With the exception of guide dogs, no animals will be allowed on the premises.
- Fire exits must not be obstructed in any manner. The hirer must ensure that the Fire and Safety procedures displayed in the Meeting Room are read by all attending the meeting.
- Under the Electricity at Work Regulations, you must not bring in your own electrical equipment unless it has been tested by an approved or suitably qualified person. There is no access to a drinking water supply so no kettles or coffee makers can be used.
- No alcohol is to be sold on the premises.
- A 'no smoking' policy applies throughout library premises.
- Failure to comply with the conditions of hire may result in further bookings being refused.
Updated May 2021
Covid-19 Safety Requirements for Room/Space Hirers
The following Information Sheet requirements affect the above room hire conditions and non-compliance to the requirements may lead to refusal of hire.
- You can access the building in the usual manner if it is out of hours.
- Attendees must sanitise their hands on entry – sanitisers are located at library entry points.
- Due to Covid-19 restrictions, furniture is not provided although we can provide chairs upon request.
- Covid secure procedures must be followed to ensure your meeting is carried out safely. Attendees showing Covid-19 symptoms must not attend. Public health guidelines must be followed, including social distancing, wearing masks, washing hands or sanitising, no sharing of equipment (pens, IT equipment, etc) or crockery, plates and food and the room should be ventilated where possible.
- Toilet and kitchen facilities (where available) can be used but will need to be wiped down after every use.
- Certain areas of the library are marked as ‘out of bounds’ and must not be entered.
- Please do not touch or move any furniture or fittings other than the furniture you are using.
- We will need to know how many people will be attending the meeting/activity and be provided with names and contact numbers for our NHS test and trace records. We must be informed if any meeting attendee shows symptoms or tests positive for Coronavirus up to 48 hours after the meeting.
- We encourage meeting attendees to attend online if possible, to keep the meeting numbers low. Each library has full Wi-Fi capability.
- Appropriate cleaning materials can be provided.
- All furniture used must be cleaned before you leave the building.
- The usual hire charges will apply.
Updated May 2021
Last Updated: 19 April 2022