Milton Keynes Libraries - ICT Policy
All users must accept the 'Terms and Conditions' statement as displayed on the PC screen after they log on. If a user does not accept the Terms and Conditions their session will be automatically terminated.
To ensure fair use:
- Milton Keynes Libraries provides access in some of our libraries to computers for all members of the community.
- Milton Keynes Libraries is not responsible for the accuracy, validity, legality or usefulness of information available on the Internet, which is a global electronic network.
- Customers may not transmit any material in violation of any laws. This includes, but is not limited to, copyrighted material, threatening or obscene material, pornographic material, or material protected by trade secret.
- Customers may not use the ICT facilities for any commercial purposes.
- The terminals are set up for general use and customers must not tamper with settings or alter configurations.
- It is the individual's responsibility to logout from any webmail applications before the end of their session.
- Any files saved to the relevant drive on the PC will be deleted at the end of each session and will no longer be accessible.
- Milton Keynes Libraries accepts no responsibility for damage to materials or loss of files arising from the use of library ICT facilities.
- Library Service staff have the right to deny any customer access to facilities if they misuse them.
- The first 30 minutes of use each day is free for members of Milton Keynes Libraries and this is available using your library membership card and PIN.
- Library members must have their own library card with them and not use anyone else's card. Family or friends’ cards are not transferrable for free access.
- Library members who forget their card will be charged to access the computers.
- To access a free 30-minute session your library card must be free of any fines and charges.
- There is a charge for non members for each 30-minute session. You will need to bring suitable ID showing your name (for example your passport, student card, driving licence or debit/credit card) to enable staff to log you on to a PC.
- Individuals may use a PC for up to 30 minutes per session. Subsequent sessions on the same day at any library location are charged at the 30-minute rate and are only available if other customers are not waiting to use a PC.
- All customers must accept the Terms & Conditions statement that is displayed on the PC screen after they log on. If a user does not accept the guidelines their session will be automatically terminated.
- A charge is made for printing from public PCs. Staff are unable to print directly from customer storage devices. Customers must log on to a PC to print from these devices.
- Children and young people under the age of 16 will be allowed access to the computers provided that, on their behalf, a parent or legal guardian has signed a Milton Keynes Libraries Internet consent form in the presence of library staff.
- By signing the consent form parents or guardians agree to accept responsibility for monitoring material accessed from the Internet by their children.
- In order to access the ICT facilities, children and young people under the age of 16 must be registered library borrowers; their library cards will be endorsed to show that they have parental consent to use the Internet.
- Where it is unclear that a customer is over 16 library staff may ask for proof of age.
- Computer usage may be monitored electronically or manually by staff.
- Filtering software is used in an attempt to screen offensive material. However, filtering mechanisms do not guarantee that all inappropriate material is blocked; the Library Service cannot be held responsible for the content of the Internet.
- Virus protection software is running on all computers.
Updated 1 December 2010
Back to Top
Last Updated: 23 August 2021