New and Improved Milton Keynes Libraries
While we undertake any building works and projects, we hope to keep the disruption of your library provision to a minimum and apologise for any temporary inconvenience. Wherever possible, we put interim arrangements in place to continue providing access to your libraries and library services.
In its 50th year we have exciting plans to make major improvements to this much loved local library so that even more people can enjoy what it has to offer.
When will the library be closed?
We can only carry out these major works by closing the building for a few months. Newport Pagnell Library closed on Monday 2 September 2019. It will re-open again at the end of the year.
Where can I find services and activities during the closure?
We are working hard to make sure that you can still access services and activities.
From 2 September 2019 you can:
- Use your library card and return books at any of our other 8 libraries across the borough
- Attend Children’s Hour and storytimes at our other 8 libraries
- Find eBooks, eMagazines and eAudiobooks anytime on the eLibrary page of the website
- Visit the Mobile Library in Newport Pagnell which will have extra visits on Wednesday and Friday
What's the plan for Newport Pagnell Library?
After it re-opens, Newport Pagnell Library will continue to offer all of its popular library services. It will have been completely redecorated and have a new layout, an exciting new children’s library as well as new furniture, lighting and flooring. We have carefully designed the changes to respect and preserve the character of this much loved facility.
The S106 funding for this project comes from local building developments.
Wondering what to expect from your new library? Here are few teasers for you. We'll let you know more as we get closer to the opening.
- The furniture has been chosen and we're finalising the colour scheme.
- The library will be completely new ... from the decoration to the layout to the furniture.
- The children's library will be larger and out of this world.
- The format for the storytime will be changing and moving to a new time on Friday morning.
- The opening hours will be extended using Libraries Xtra.
- There will be over 140 (linear) metres of adult shelving and over 50 metres of children's shelving in the new library.
At 1pm on Saturday, 31 August 2019 the doors to Newport Pagnell Library closed and library staff sprang into action. By the end of the day on Monday, 2 September the library was unrecognisable.
It was a wonder that colleagues kept smiling - considering that during one day they moved 8206 books!
Things are moving ahead with lightning speed!
Newport Pagnell Library has been a flurry of activity with the flooring stripped, new plasterboard walls, fresh paint, demolition of the front porch, a new front door fitted, new railings at the front of the building and a new office area has been created inside.
Everything is going according to plan so far. The builders, Millstream, have been working to finish the structural changes and are close to completing their part of the refurbishment.
The next step is for the library team to check and sign off the works before giving Design Concept access to the building. Design Concept have been involved with planning the layout and will install the furniture, fixtures and fittings.
The good news is that the newly refurbished library will be opened before Christmas!
Everyone is invited to join us at the opening ceremony on Tuesday 17 December 2019 at 11am - so put the date in your diary and come along to celebrate the re-opening of your local library.
Fantastic opening day with the ribbon cutting by the Mayors of Milton Keynes and Newport Pagnell. Thank you to everyone who came along to celebrate the opening.
Last Updated: 15 January 2020