New and Improved Milton Keynes Libraries
While we undertake any building works and projects, we hope to keep the disruption of your library provision to a minimum and apologise for any temporary inconvenience. Wherever possible, we put interim arrangements in place to continue providing access to your libraries and library services.
In its 50th year we have exciting plans to make major improvements to this much loved local library so that even more people can enjoy what it has to offer.
When will the library be closed?
We can only carry out these major works by closing the building for a few months. Newport Pagnell Library closed on Monday 2 September 2019. It will re-open again at the end of the year.
Where can I find services and activities during the closure?
We are working hard to make sure that you can still access services and activities.
From 2 September 2019 you can:
- Use your library card and return books at any of our other 8 libraries across the borough
- Attend Children’s Hour and storytimes at our other 8 libraries
- Find eBooks, eMagazines and eAudiobooks anytime on the eLibrary page of the website
- Visit the Mobile Library in Newport Pagnell which will have extra visits on Wednesday and Friday
What's the plan for Newport Pagnell Library?
After it re-opens, Newport Pagnell Library will continue to offer all of its popular library services. It will have been completely redecorated and have a new layout, an exciting new children’s library as well as new furniture, lighting and flooring. We have carefully designed the changes to respect and preserve the character of this much loved facility.
The S106 funding for this project comes from local building developments.
During the closure there are a few location changes for activities normally held at the library. For information about these activities, visit the What's On web page.
- CRAFT AND CHAT - Fridays 2-4pm - will meet at The Kings Arms, Severn Drive, Newport Pagnell MK16 9BY.
- COUNCILLOR SURGERY - First Saturday of each month 10.30am-12.30pm - will be held at The Brooklands Centre (rear of Royal British Legion), Ouseband Street, Newport Pagnell.
- BRING YOUR OWN BOOK - Monthly on Mondays 5.30-6.30pm - will meet in the front lounge of The Swan Revived Hotel.
- KNIT AND NATTER - Wednesdays 2-4pm - will meet at Harben House, Tickford Street, Newport Pagnell MK16 9EY.
Once the reopened, Newport Pagnell Library will once more host these activities - in the meantime, we appreciate your patience and flexibility.
There are three Mobile Library stops in Newport Pagnell to help customers during the closure.
- Monday 2-3.45pm - Wordsworth Avenue MK16 8SB
- Wednesday 9-10.30am - Outside the Legion, High Street MK16 8EH
- Friday 12.55-1.45pm - Outside the Legion, High Street MK16 8EH
Wondering what to expect from your new library? Here are few teasers for you. We'll let you know more as we get closer to the opening.
- The furniture has been chosen and we're finalising the colour scheme.
- The library will be completely new ... from the decoration to the layout to the furniture.
- The children's library will be larger and out of this world.
- The format for the storytime will be changing and moving to a new time on Friday morning.
- The opening hours will be extended using Libraries Xtra.
- There will be over 140 (linear) metres of adult shelving and over 50 metres of children's shelving in the new library.
At 1pm on Saturday, 31 August 2019 the doors to Newport Pagnell Library closed and library staff sprang into action. By the end of the day on Monday, 2 September the library was unrecognisable.
It was a wonder that colleagues kept smiling - considering that during one day they moved 8206 books!
Wolverton Library was closed for a few days in May 2019 and when it opened again it was shiny and new!
We had a new carpet throughout, changed the layout with some new furniture and hopefully made it more welcoming and functional. There are still a couple of changes in the pipeline and so far the customers enjoying their 'new' library.
You can see a 360 photo and new floorplan of Wolverton Library (and all our libraries) on the Library Locations page.
Last Updated: 18 September 2019