Milton Keynes Reading Adventure
This summer we’re running a very special Milton Keynes Reading Adventure for young readers.
The last year has been a strange and difficult one for everyone. Not only have schools and libraries been impacted by the Covid-19 disruption, but the reading skills and confidence of many young readers have also been affected. To boost reading and avoid that summer ‘dip’ in reading skills, we bring you the MK Reading Adventure and encourage you to read just for the fun of it.
- What's the challenge all about?
- When does the challenge start and end?
- How do I join?
- How do I choose my books?
- How do I remember what books I've read?
- How do I get my certificate?
- What other things can I do for the MK Reading Adventure challenge?
- I still have questions
We want as many children as possible to read or have help to read six library books over the summer to complete the challenge.
Join the MK Reading Adventure - because reading is an adventure and you never know which world you'll escape to with your next book!
The challenge is open to all young readers in the Milton Keynes area. There are no age limits and if you can't read books on your own, you can have help from a grown up or another reader.
The MK Reading Adventure begins on Thursday 1 July 2021, ends on Friday 24 September and it's FREE to join.
It's simple to join the challenge by
- visiting one of the libraries and filling in a registration form;
- filling in the online registration form;
- printing the registration form (PDF, 168KB) and dropping it off at one of the libraries.
When you register, we'll ask you for your library card number. If you don't have your own card, you can use your parent/guardian's card number - but why not have your own library card - it's free to join the library and there's no age limit.
Reading is fun in all kinds of ways and you can use your library card to borrow:
- books - chosen from the shelves when you visit a library
- books - chosen online for the Click+Collect service
- books - that we choose for you with the Pick+Mix service
- eBooks - chosen and read with the Libby app
- eAudiobooks - chosen and listened to with the Libby app
We're always happy to chat with you about books and recommend new authors or titles that we think you may enjoy.
Here are some booklists with great adventure stories to get you started:
- Adventures from the Past (PDF, 237KB)
- Magical Books (PDF, 238KB)
- Spies and Secret Agents (PDF, 237KB)
- Friends and Feelings (PDF, 223KB)
- Explorers and their Worlds (PDF, 233KB)
- Animals, Myths and Monsters (PDF, 241KB)
- Pioneering Discoveries and Science (PDF, 281KB)
- Space and Sci-Fi (PDF, 224KB)
- Real Life People and Stories (PDF, 230KB)
- Around the World (PDF, 223KB)
When you choose your first book, collect an MK Reading Adventure bookmark to record your six books as you go along. If you're not visiting a library, you can download and print your bookmark (PDF, 186KB) at home. [Print as an A4 sheet, double sided, flip on short edge and as actual size]
There's room on the bookmark to write the title and/or author each time you read a book. You can also rate the books by colouring in the 1, 2 or 3 stars so you'll know which ones you enjoyed the most.
When you’ve read all six books and written them on your bookmark, hand it in at one of the libraries or email the details or a photo of the bookmark to us so we know that you've completed the challenge. (Photos need to be less than 10mb)
Everyone who completes the challenge and reads six books will get a certificate.
- If you email us a photo of your completed bookmark, we'll send you a link to download and print your certificate at home.
- If you visit a library with your bookmark to show that you've completed the challenge, a member of staff will give you a certificate.
Throughout the summer, you'll find themed activities on the website and our YouTube channel.
We’ll be watching social media to see how you’ve been joining in. Make sure you use the hashtag #MKReadingAdventure when you share your photos so we can share them on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages too.
Treasure Hunt at the Libraries
If you visit any of the libraries over the summer ask for a treasure hunt entry form and find the MK Reading Adventure pictures hidden in the shelves.
When you've found them all and written down the names, fill in your details and pop your entry into the box at the library.
You'll be entered into a prize draw and the winners will be chosen at the end of September.
Activity sheets to download
- dot to dot
- colouring in
- spot the difference - sheet 1, sheet 2, sheet 3 and the answers
- match the shadows
- how many
- wordsearch - Milton Keynes, Safari Animals, Marvel Characters, Pirates - and the answers (no peeking!)
You can email your book reviews to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or download our Book Review slip (PDF, 145KB) to fill in and hand back at any of the libraries. Be sure to tell us the name of the book. We'd like to know what you thought of the books you read, and we'll be adding reviews to our book reviews web page.
Visit our YouTube Channel
We've been adding plenty of videos to our YouTube Channel linked to the MK Reading Adventure including:
- Storytimes and Rhyme times
- Craft sessions
- Book reviews and recommendations
We hope you’ll take on the challenge and read with us this summer.
You can email us with any questions or ask a member of staff when you next visit any of the libraries.
All illustrations by Qvasimodo on iStock
Join the MK Reading Adventure right now:
Last Updated: 19 July 2021