Reading Well can help you cope with the pressures of life, feel better about yourself and boost your confidence using books.
The Reading Well books have been chosen by young people and health experts to help you with difficult feelings and experiences that affect your wellbeing.
Look out for the books on the Reading Well list. They offer tips and ideas to help you understand and manage your emotions as well as cope with difficult situations. It's free to join the library and it's free to borrow the books. Take one home today!
- Blame My Brain - Nicola Morgan
- Mind Your Head - Juno Dawson
- Stuff That Sucks - Ben Sedley
- The Self-Esteem Team's Guide to Sex, Drugs and WTFs?!!
- Every Day - David Levithan
- House of Windows - Alexia Casale
- I'll Give You the Sun - Jandy Nelson
- Kite Spirit - Sita Brahmachari
- Quiet the Mind - Matthew Johnstone
- Putting on the Brakes: Understanding and Taking control of your ADD or ADHD - Patricial Quinn and Judith Stern
Anxiety, Worry and Panic
- My Anxious Mind - Michael Tompkins & Katherine Martinez
- The Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook for Teens - Jennifer Shannon
- The Anxiety Survival Guide for Teens - Jennifer Shannon
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
Autism and Asperger Syndrome
- Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome - Luke Jackson
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon
- The Reason I Jump - Naoki Higashida
Body Image and Eating Disorders
- Can I Tell You About Eating Disorders? - Bryan Lask and Lucy Watson
- Banish Your Body Image Thief - Kate Collins-Donnelly
- Tyranny - Lesley Fairfield
- Bullies, Cyberbullies and Frenemies - Michele Elliott
- Vicious True stories by Teens About Bullying - Ed Hope Vanderberg
Confidence and Self-Esteem
- Banish Your Self-Esteem Thief - Kate Collins-Donnelly
- Self-Esteem and Being You - Anita Nalk
- Face - Benjamin Zephaniah
- Am I Depressed and What Can I Do About It? - Shirley Reynolds and Monika Parkinson
- Can I Tell You About Depression? - Christopher Dowrick and Susan Martin
- I Had a Black Dog - Matthew Johnstone
- Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life for Teens - Sheri Van Dijk
- The Truth About Self-Harm - Celia Richardson
- Breaking Free from OCD - Jo Derisley and others
- The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B - Teresa Toten
- Touch and Go Joe - Joe Wells
- Fighting Invisible Tigers - Earl Hipp
- The Teenage Guide to Stress - Nicola Morgan
For more suggestions about useful reading and advice please visit the Reading Well Shelf Help website.
Reading Well has been developed by The Reading Agency in partnership with Libraries Connected and Association of Senior Children's and Education Librarians. The scheme is funded by Arts Council England and the Wellcome Trust.
Last Updated: 29 July 2019