If you love your library and would like to show support, please consider a donation.
- What is Libraries Xtra?
- Which libraries use Libraries Xtra?
- How does it work?
- What services will be available?
- Who can use Libraries Xtra?
- How do I register for Libraries Xtra?
- How do I upgrade my membership?
- Where can I find more information?
- What can I do to help?
- What if the doors don't open?
- Kingston Library Opening Hours
- Westcroft Library Opening Hours
- Libraries Xtra Terms and Conditions
Libraries Xtra is our way of giving you access to the library when it suits you. You can use your library card to enter the building beyond the staffed hours and use the library.
Kingston Library was the first of the Milton Keynes Libraries to offer Libraries Xtra followed by the new Westcroft Library in January 2019.
Using automated FlexABLE systems from 2CQR, your library card becomes your key to open the doors and allow you to use the library during extended hours. You'll need to know your PIN and have your card with you each time you visit during the Xtra hours. Once inside, you can use the self-service kiosks to return and issue books.
During the Xtra hours you will be able to browse the shelves, use the free WiFi or photocopier, relax, read and study. The self-service kiosks will be available to return and issue books.
To use Libraries Xtra, you will need to be 16 or over. If you are 16 or 17 you can use the library during the Xtra hours with permission from a parent or guardian (obtained during registration). All other children and young adults are welcome to use the library during the Xtra hours if accompanied by an adult who is registered for Libraries Xtra.
To register for the Libraries Xtra scheme you will need to upgrade your membership by visiting Kingston Library or Westcroft Library and speaking with a member of staff. You will then be able to use your library card and PIN to enter both of the Xtra libraries through the automated system.
If you are not already a member - it's FREE to join Milton Keynes Libraries!
To upgrade your membership you'll need to speak with a member of staff at Kingston Library or Westcroft Library and complete a registration form.
You will need to bring your library card with you and some photo ID (like a passport or driving licence) to verify your identity. This ID is also required for a parent or guardian registering a 16 or 17 year old to join Libraries Xtra.
Membership to Libraries Xtra remains at the discretion of Milton Keynes Libraries.
There will be an Information Pack in the library during Xtra hours with notes and guidance.
We're always happy to answer any questions and if you can't find the information you are looking for, please ask a member of staff or email us with your query.
You can help to make Libraries Xtra a success by taking care of your library space.
- Be mindful when entering the building and don't let anyone else enter without proper access.
- CCTV cameras are in place for your peace of mind and safety.
- Be sure to leave the library promptly when nearing closing time.
- Look after each other.
If you encounter any problems or would like to make any suggestions, we would welcome your feedback. You can leave comments in the visitor's book, speak with a member of staff or email us.
If you have registered for Libraries Xtra and the doors don't open when you scan your library card and enter your PIN, you'll need to speak with a member of staff during staffed hours.
We apologise for any inconvenience when this happens, but on rare occasions, there may be a temporary issue with your account that requires attention before you card will allow you access.
Please note that on the days when the library opens after staffed hours, there is a short turnaround period. All library users must leave the building prior to any Libraries Xtra members re-entering. This includes any visitors hiring the Meeting Pod.
Please note that on the days when the library opens after staffed hours, there is a short turnaround period. All library users must leave the building prior to any Libraries Xtra members re-entering.
Please note that membership to the scheme is at the discretion of Milton Keynes Libraries.
- You need to have your library card with you and know your PIN to access the building during the Xtra opening hours.
- Do not let anyone else use your library card or know your PIN.
- When entering the building, be careful not to let anyone else enter behind you - it's important to keep your library secure.
- Please use all equipment and services responsibly.
- Leave the building promptly when the announcements are made and the library closes and be sure to take all your belongings.
- It may take several days to activate your Libraries Xtra membership.
- All children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
The building will be unstaffed during Libraries Xtra hours and access to the library is offered by the Council without responsibility to users. The Council is not responsible for any theft, damage, destruction or loss to your belongings or damage suffered by you as a result of any cause beyond our control.
Last Updated: 21 September 2021