Friends Groups and Milton Keynes Libraries
Please email us if you would like to know more about Friends Groups.
- Friends Groups
- What do Friends Groups do?
- How do Friends Groups operate?
- How will Milton Keynes Libraries help?
- FoSSL - Friends of Stony Stratford Library
- FoLiO - Friends of the Library in Olney
We are in challenging and changing times and libraries are rapidly becoming even more indispensable to their local communities. Friends Groups can help support and enhance libraries in our local communities.
Friends Groups provide an important contribution to support and maintain awareness of a library in a local community. They work in partnership with Milton Keynes Libraries and local library teams. Their support helps to promote the role of Milton Keynes Libraries which provides access to resources and information, encourages reading, improves literacy and contributes to learning, health and wellbeing.
Friends Groups are involved in and support a wide range of activities. These can include:
- fundraising activities
- obtaining sponsorship
- supporting activities in libraries
- supporting the recruitment of volunteers
- delivering additional programmes of events and activities to complement those provided by the libraries (like local fetes and festivals)
- acting as champions for the library
- providing valuable feedback about services
They don't replace library staff.
Friends Groups are also a great way of meeting new people and helping out the local community. They can be fun and creative and help put libraries at the heart of their communities. It can be very rewarding for the group and the individuals involved.
- All Friends Groups need to be constituted and have elected members and processes in place.
- They need to have insurance cover for any activities they provide outside of library opening times.
- They need to reflect the range of social, ethnic and cultural groups and individuals of all ages and backgrounds served by the library.
- They need to have a core of keen people willing to make time for it as well as having access to a wide range of skills.
- They will need to recruit members, decide whether to have a subscription fee and maintain their financial arrangements.
- They will need to decide how often the committee meet and how often it will be subject to election.
- Friends Groups will be supported by Milton Keynes Libraries.
- We'll provide information about what the libraries need and we'll let you know how your financial contributions have helped.
- We'll work together and plan events and activities that compliment each other to avoid calendar clashes.
- We'll ensure library staff help to make libraries available for you to hold meetings and activities either during or outside normal opening hours.
The Friends of Stony Stratford Library represents the interests of users of the Library and provides a way for users, staff and Milton Keynes Council to communicate.
If you would like to find out more about FoSSL please ask at the library or email FoSSL Group directly.
FoLiO was started by Olney community volunteers to assist adding value to Olney Library and keep it at the heart of the Olney community.
If you would like to find out more about Friends of Olney Library please ask at the library or email Olney Folio Group directly.
FoLiO have also set up a regular reading group called the Folio Book Club.
You can keep up to date with Olney Library on the FoLiO Facebook Page.
Last Updated: 14 January 2021