What's On in Your Library and Community
- Upcoming Events
- Regular Event Showcase
- Events and Activities by Friends Groups
These shows have been funded by Arts Council England to celebrate Her Majesty the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee and are free to attend.
Places are limited and need to be booked online in advance. Click on the link for your chosen performance to book your place online. If you need help with your booking, please ask at the host library.
Pity poor Prince Frederick! He's scared of everything; little things, big things, things which might happen, even things which might not happen - and then a huge, scary, fearsome giant comes to Merryhaven.
This production was commissioned by ‘The Conversation, Stamford’ as part of their ‘anxiety project’ – a series of workshops dealing with worries, phobias and stress in children (particularly years 1 and 2). The show has proved to be a powerful ‘opener’ for in-class discussion about what causes anxiety – but ultimately it’s a jolly good Tall Tale!
The story is adapted from the telling of Taffy Thomas, first Laureate for Storytelling, and has its roots in Welsh tradition. Widdershins has turned the tale into a heart-warming production, with its trademark puppets, props and original music by Martin Thornton.
Suitable for ages 5+ (younger children may be frightened)
Tuesday 31 May 2022
- 10.30-11.10am at Stony Stratford Library (Book at tinyurl.com/Giant-STS)
- 2.30-3.10pm at Kingston Library (Book at tinyurl.com/Giant-KIN) SOLD OUT
PIGS AND BEARS DON’T COME IN PAIRS
A double bill performance by the Theatre of Widdershins - combining the Three Little Pigs and Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
Straw, wood, brick? Porridge, chairs, beds? Two trios to tantalise and tickle your senses in this double bill of Furry Tails, where Goldilocks may even be scarier than the Big Bad Wolf!
Book your place now for these well-loved stories, retold with puppets, original music and a perfectly petite pop-up set.
(This show is suitable for ages 3+)
Saturday 4 June 2022
- 10.30-11.15am at Central Library (Book at tinyurl.com/Pairs-CMK)
Saturday 11 June 2022
- 10.30-11.15am at Bletchley Library (Book at tinyurl.com/Pairs-BLE) SOLD OUT
POSITIVE MINDFUL DRUMMING at Central Library
1 & 18 June / 10 September 2022
Join Adey as he takes you through upbeat rhythms and mantra for mindset development. Sessions are 30-40 minutes and involve body-percussion and drumming with drum-sticks on a pad, a box or on your body. All equipment is provided.
- 11.30am Under 5s and parent/carer
- 12.30pm Children and families
- 1.30pm Young people and adults
Visit the Drum United Academy website to read all about positive mindful drumming and view the weekly livestream. You can also join the drumming community and access free resources.
Book your free places online for the sessions at Central Library. Contributions to support the project are always welcome and you can read more on the website.
Stories, Songs and Rhymes
Several libraries have story time sessions and you'll find details on the stories, songs and rhymes web page.
ENGLISH CONVERSATION CLASSES at Central Library
Thursdays ~ 11am - 12noon
English conversation classes are for anyone who would like to practise and improve their English as a second language, gain better skills for study or employment, or just get on in everyday life.
Everyone is welcome to join us on the day and you don't need to register. If you'd like to know more you can phone 01908 254050 or speak to library staff.
Please note that the classes are led by library volunteers and are not part of any ESOL curriculum.
IELTS - International English Language Testing System
IELTS is the world's proven English language test and can be accessed online at all Milton Keynes Libraries and from your computer at home. For more information, visit the eLibrary web page.
We offer a variety of regular events and activities, including:
Computer Help Sessions with our IT Buddies (contact the library for more information)
- Bletchley Library - Tuesday 10am-12pm
- Olney Library - Tuesday 1-3pm
- Family History Consultations - Central Library (dates to be confirmed)
- Knit and Natter sessions at various libraries
- Library Reading Groups at various libraries
- Stories, Songs and Rhymes at various libraries
- Songs and Rhymes for the Under 2s - Central Library Tuesday 10-10.30am
- Read and Play sessions at Olney Library - Thursday 2.30-4.30pm (starts 26 May 2022)
- Story and Song Time (by Woodland and Tickford Meadow Children's Centres) at Olney Library - Tuesdays 11.15-11.45am
- Lego Clubs (free to attend no booking necessary)
- Bletchley Library - Thursday 3.30-4.30pm
- Central Library - Tuesday 4-5pm
- Kingston Library - Friday 3.30-4.30pm
- Newport Pagnell Library - Wednesday 3.30-4.30pm
- Olney Library - Friday 3.30-4.30pm and first Saturday of each month 10.30-11.30am
- Stony Stratford Library - Saturday 11am-12pm
- Westcroft Library - Thursday 3.30-4.30pm
- Woburn Sands Library - Friday 3.30-4.30pm
- Wolverton Library - Tuesday 3.30-4.30pm
- FoLiO Events at Olney Library - download the schedule of 2022 talks (PDF, 326KB)
- FoSSL Events at Stony Stratford Library - next talk is 'The Life and Legacy of Paul Robeson: Part One - Prejudice (1898-1939)' by Joe Laredo on Wednesday 25 May 2022 at 7pm. (Tickets available from Stony Stratford Library from Tuesday 3 May.)
Discover MK Showcase - first floor at Central Library
VE DAY REMEMBERED
5 May 2022 - 9 June 2022
An exhibition to commemorate VE Day 77 years on. Showcasing archive photos from Living Archive MK, and artefacts from MK Museum's WW2 collection.
This exhibition was prepared to commemorate the 75th anniversary of VE Day in May 2020. However, due to the pandemic, the exhibition was postponed. The refreshed exhibition also featurees images of how people in Milton Keynes celebrated during the national lockdown.
OVERGROWN by Nicola Saunderson
5-31 May 2022 - first floor at Central Library
An exhibition of recent work exploring the relationship between landscaping and foliage to surround architecture.
Last Updated: 23 May 2022