Business and Company Information
Business and company services are mainly located at Central Library and staff will be happy to help you with your enquiries.
You can also contact us using the Online Enquiry Form.
- Business Management Information
- COBRA - Online Database
- Company Information
- Doing Business Abroad
- Market Research
- MK Business Information
- Newspapers and Magazines
- Small Business Startup
- Businessballs - Free online articles, materials and resources for the ethical development of people, business and organisations.
- Karen Blakeman's Business Information on the Internet - Evaluated listings of business information resources on the internet.
- Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) - Go to Information Resources for surveys and research.
- Chartered Management Institute - Website aimed at professional managers looking to improve their skills and extend their qualifications and recognition through chartered status. More extensive service through membership.
- Cranfield (University) School of Management - Academic Gateway aimed at students and professional managers contains general information on courses, professional development, as well as articles and links.
- Google Digital Garage - for free tutorials from Google on everything from your website to online marketing and beyond.
- Information Commissioner's Office - the UK's independent authority for advice about the new General Data Projection Regulations (GDPR).
Click here to visit the COBRA website and use your library card number to log in (including the initial B) where it asks for your ticket number. If you then type "coronavirus" into the search box, you will see guides about some industry specific information, government support and information about the business interruption loans.
COBRA is a continually expanding business encyclopaedia covering all aspects of starting and running a business.
COBRA gives you quick and easy access to exactly the information you need if you are running your own business, considering self-employment or looking for a career change.
COBRA contains thousands of factsheets that are packed with useful information about setting up, running and growing a business. With detailed guides on about 600 small business trades and professions plus practical how to guides, market summaries and information about trade events, business support and funding.
It is free to use although printing charges will apply. This service is only available at Milton Keynes Central Library. Ask a member of staff in the Reference Library to log you on.
If you don't have time to come to Central Library in person, requests for searches can be made by telephone (01908 254050) or email us at Central Library.
- Invest MK - local business information and practical help.
- The Gazette - official public record of UK limited companies.
- MisterWhat - comprehensive business directory of UK companies. Search by keyword or location.
- Kompass Directory - including UK and overseas companies. Search by company name or industry.
- Applegate Directory - including UK and Ireland. Search by company name, product or industry.
- Hoovers UK - worldwide company information.
- Investor Network offers the latest worldwide industry and company news and information.
- British Exporters Association - An independent national trade association representing all sectors of the export community.
- GOV UK - The Gateway to UK government websites.
- Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform - UK trade policies on importing into UK.
- Department of International Development - International news and articles, country profiles and case studies.
- Export Credits Guarantee Department - Advice on all aspects of export from the UK, finances, insurance and law related to investing overseas.
- HM Revenue and Customs - Go to the Imports Exports section for more detailed information.
- UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office - Advice for overseas businesses seeking to invest in the UK and services for UK companies looking to expand abroad.
- COBRA - offers guides to trends and opportunities in over 60 market sectors, local area profiles and business opportunity profiles.
- The Office for National Statistics website gives information for local areas.
- Milton Keynes Council Statistics - Statistics for the area of Milton Keynes including data on population, 2001 census and unemployment.
- MK Insight - A one-stop-shop for information about Milton Keynes and the surrounding area, including statistics.
- The Local Studies Department has a collection of historical statistics for the Milton Keynes area, covering population, crime, employment and general facts and figures.
- Some information may be available from the Government Statistics website.
- Zoopla provides analysis by area.
- For free articles and reports - try Googling the subject area.
Businesses Operating in the UK’s Towns and Cities
Basic information like business name and contact details:
Main market report publishers:
Useful research websites:
- Applegate - Applegate directory, including UK and Ireland. Search by company name, product or industry.
- Businesses and Self-Employed - The link provides information on service and industry sectors.
- Department for Business Innovation and Skills - Provides information on industries and sectors with details of appropriate institutions or associations.
- Reed Business Information - Reed Business Information including UK and overseas companies.
- Kompass - Kompass directory provides a list with contact details of UK companies in specific markets.
- Trade Association Forum - Guide to locating trade associations, guilds and federations, searchable by industry.
- The Milton Keynes Council statistics pages and Milton Keynes Insight are the main sources for Milton Keynes economic and employment statistics.
Local Business Organisations
Milton Keynes has a variety of organisations which can provide you with business information or advice, including:
- Milton Keynes Trading Standards
- Business Information (Milton Keynes Council)
- Milton Keynes Chamber of Commerce
- Touch Local for local businesses and entertainment
Online newspaper and magazine databases:
- Times Digital Archive 1785-2014 - Search the full text of the Times newspaper from the first issue in 1785 to 1985. You will need to enter the number on your library card to access the database.
- PressReader - Digital access to over 7000 newspapers and popular publications from the UK and all around the world. This service offers newspapers in 60 languages and is available within libraries and remotely from home with your library card number.
- Access to Research - Within libraries you can access academic and scientific journals.
(For full details and access information, please visit the eLibrary page.)
Information about local and family history newspapers can be found on the Reference and Research web page.
Setting up your own Business
If you are planning to start your own business or are already running a small business, the Business Library can help you.
- Cobra is an online business tool covering all aspects of starting and running a business.
Useful Startup Websites:
- The government’s GOV.UK portal provides a rich source of information on the practicality of starting a new business and their HM Revenue & Customs pages cover tax and national insurance requirements.
- Federation of Small Businesses - Advice, contacts and news for small businesses.
- Prince’s Trust - Help for 18-30 year olds, including grants, loans, business support and advice.
- Small Business Gateway - Advice on starting a new business, researching business ideas and plans, finances, sales and marketing. Case studies.
- Eu Small Business Portal - For information about starting and running a SME (Small and Medium Sized Enterprise) in the EU.
- Visit the Council Business pages for any further support and advice.
- GROW - Offers monthly online marketing masterclass that teaches the 9 fundamental areas of online marketing you HAVE to know to be successful online.
- WENTA - A 'one-stop-shop' for business support, with everything from start-up advice, mentoring and training to workspace, meeting rooms and virtual offices.
Last Updated: 20 October 2021