Reference and Research
Reference and research services are mainly located at Central Library and staff will be happy to help you with your enquiries.
You can also contact us using the Online Enquiry Form.
- Careers and Job Search Information
- Electoral Registers
- Maps and Atlases
- Newspapers and Magazines
- Tourist and Travel Information
- Directory for Later Life from Age UK
Milton Keynes Libraries can offer a range of resources to help job hunters.
If you're seeking employment, you can benefit from a number of library services including:
- Free internet (up to 30 minutes computer use each day for library members).
- Use of the library IT facilities to type CVs and application letters or to apply for jobs online.
- Free WiFi at all Milton Keynes Libraries.
- Books providing help with writing CVs and preparing for interviews.
- Local and national newspapers, trade and industry magazines for job adverts (contact the Reference Library for further details).
- Reference information for business start-ups and business advice (COBRA).
- Careers directory providing information on different careers including the training and qualifications required. We also have books giving more in-depth information on specific careers.
- You can search the Library Catalogue for careers books.
- Books on changing careers and returning to work.
- Careers newspapers and magazines.
Qualification Comparison Website (UK Naric)
The National Recognition Information Centre for the United Kingdom is also known as NARIC. It's the National Agency that provides official comparison information and advice on international education, training systems and overseas skills and qualifications.
Useful Job Search Websites:
- Job Search - help and advice on jobs, work programmes, self-employment and volunteering.
- Jobs at TheCentreMK
- CV Library
- Milton Keynes Citizen - local newspaper job ad section.
- NHS Careers Site
- Reed - the UK's biggest job site.
- Techno Jobs - IT and Technical job site.
- Engage Education - Teaching jobs in Buckinghamshire.
- Semiconductor and Electronics Industry
- Chess-Partnership - Hospitality Recruitment.
- Restaurant Jobs
Careers, Apprenticeships and Training:
- National Careers Service for careers advice, CV writing, courses and learning.
- Information to help you decide if Apprenticeships are for you.
- Apprenticeships - earn while you learn.
- Community Learning MK - part of Milton Keynes Council, offering a wide variety of opportunities to everyone over 16 years.
Graduate Information Sites:
- Prospects - Graduate careers site.
- HotCourses - UK's largest course finder.
- Postgrad - Complete guide to postgraduate studies in UK.
- All About Careers - career exploration, jobs and advice.
- Overseas jobs and international employment opportunities for professionals, expatriates and adventure seekers.
Education - Primary and Secondary
- Education in MK - from School Admissions, School Directory, Term Dates and Jobs in MK schools.
- Information about independent schools - both locally and nationally.
- School performance tables from the DFES.
- Ofsted Reports for schools, colleges, nurseries and childminders.
- Education Otherwise - find out about home-based schooling.
- Education Books - Search the library catalogue for titles.
- Schools Revision - BBC Bitesize
- Schoolscience - Primary and Secondary
- UCAS list of university and college websites.
- UCAS directory and information on how to fill in your UCAS form.
- Guides to UK universities.
- University ranking lists from newspapers such as the Times rankings and the Guardian rankings.
- Online information and advice to help students to find the right degree course and the right university with Which? University.
Online Study and Training
- FutureLearn - Online Courses and Learning
- History - BBC
- Languages - Learn with the BBC
- Vision2Learn - Online Courses and Learning
Qualification Comparison Website (UK Naric)
The National Recognition Information Centre for the United Kingdom
UK Naric is the National Agency providing the only official source of comparison information and advice on international education and training systems and overseas skills and qualifications.
Details of Electoral Registers can be found on the Family History web page. You can also find out how to view current and historical registers as well as those for other areas of the UK.
You can view the current open version of the Milton Keynes electoral register at Central Library. The open version does not contain all the electors in Milton Keynes as any elector can request that their personal details be kept private. Consequently details are not included in the open version.
- Council Public Consultation documents are kept at the enquiry desk during the consultation period. These include proposed building developments and changes to car parking restrictions.
- Milton Keynes Local Plan - a copy of the most recent plan can be consulted at the enquiry desk or viewed online.
- Previous Local Plans are kept in the Local Studies Library.
- Council Committee Agendas and Minutes are kept in the Local Studies Library at the Central Library. Please ring to check availability before making a special journey to view these documents.
- Council documents - an archive of old council documents, including strategies and reports, is kept in the Local Studies Library.
- A weekly listing of recently submitted planning applications can be viewed online.
- All planning applications submitted to Milton Keynes Council's Development Control Department after 11 November 2009 are available to view online via the Public Access System. This allows access to view the application documents, check an application's status, target dates and lets you make comments online; all within the same system. Decision notices will be published online once issued.
- You can also inspect the full details of a specific planning application in person by contacting the Council's Planning Department.
Useful Government Websites
- GOV.UK - the gateway to UK government websites.
- UK Parliament - includes directory of MPs, details of parliamentary committees, Hansard reports of debates and information about bills currently before Parliament.
- UK Legislation - full text of UK Acts of Parliament and Statutory Instruments.
We have books providing information about a wide range of medical conditions and treatments. Search the Library Catalogue for titles and suggestions.
- Access to Research - free online access to over 1.5 million academic articles - learn more on the eLibrary web page.
- COIN - find contact details for Milton Keynes health services and support groups through our community information directory.
- NHS Choices - is the NHS information site. Find out about illnesses, operations, tests and treatments and contact details for your local health services.
- Patient Information - information about medicines, health and medical resources and articles written by health professionals as well as a symptom checker.
- British Medical Journal - read medical articles online.
- Lancet - read medical articles online.
- BBC News - provides information about many health topics.
- Fit for Travel - website provided by the NHS (Scotland), gives travel health information for people travelling abroad from the UK.
You can find help in your libraries about various aspects of mental health including:
- Books on Prescription - self-help books for various health conditions
- Mood Boosting Books - recommended 'feel good' books
- Reading Well: Shelf Help - recommended books for young people
- Macmillan Information Point at Central Library
- Adult Social Care Hub for Milton Keynes
- CALM - campaign against living miserably
- ChildLine - help and support for young people
- Harmless - self harm organisation
- MIND BLMK - mental health and wellbeing charity for Bedfordshire Luton and Milton Keynes
- Online Mental Health - support from MIND about being online
- Papyrus - prevention of young suicide
- Samaritans - 24 hour helplines
- Young Minds - children and young people's wellbeing and mental health
The map collection held in the Local Studies Library consists mainly of Ordnance Survey maps dating from the 1880s onwards. They vary in scale from 1 inch to the mile to 1:1250 (around 50 inches to the mile) and cover the modern urban area of Milton Keynes.
A few historic hand drawn maps of the older parishes within the 'designated area' of Milton Keynes can be viewed on request. To check what maps we hold for particular areas, please see our indexes:
Colman Map Collection
A collection of historic county maps dating from the 16th century to the late 19th century. These maps can be viewed by special arrangement with the Local Studies Library.
Any photocopying of maps in the Local Studies Library must comply with the Copyright, Design and Patents Act 1988. Please see our photocopying facilities page for details of what you are permitted to copy.
Ordnance Survey Location Plans for Planning Applications
Libraries are not able to supply copy plans for this purpose. We suggest you visit the Planning Department web pages.
Books about local maps available in the Local Studies Library
- 'Maps of Bucks' by Gordon Wyatt
- 'County Maps and Historic Buckinghamshire' by Valerie G Scott & Eve McLaughlin
Useful Map Websites
Buckinghamshire Archives is based in Aylesbury and holds a large and varied collection of maps for Buckinghamshire.
Most of our local MK newspaper collection is on microfilm.
If you are making a special journey to use the newspapers on microfilm we recommend that you contact us in advance to book a microfilm reader by phoning the Local Studies Library on 01908 254051.
Our local newspapers are not indexed so, if you are looking for a particular event, it helps to have a good idea of the month and year before beginning your search.
You can view a list of the newspapers and magazines (PDF, 179KB) held in Milton Keynes Libraries.
- Local newspapers for the rest of Buckinghamshire are held at the Buckinghamshire Archives at Aylesbury.
- Local newspapers for the rest of the UK can be accessed either by region or by an A to Z listing by title:
Local Newspaper Cuttings:
- From 1981 onwards, all the local newspapers have been scanned to create a newspaper cuttings collection of items relating to North Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes.
- The subject areas include people, architecture, politics, arts, local government, health, social issues and leisure. You can search the Index of Local Studies Cuttings (PDF, 269KB).
FAMILY HISTORY MAGAZINES
Local Family History Magazines
We subscribe to two local Family History magazines:
- 'Bucks Ancestor' - Magazine of the Bucks Genealogical Society
- 'Origins' - Magazine of the Bucks Family History Society
BUSINESS NEWSPAPERS AND MAGAZINES
You can also access over 7000 newspapers and publications from around the world in 60 languages using PressReader online.
National Newspapers are available in the Reference Library. Newspapers are indexed by title (PDF, 179KB).
- The British Library - has the national archive collections of British and overseas newspapers. It also includes popular magazines and periodicals, and is available in hard copy, in microform, and on CD-ROM at the Newspaper Reading Rooms in Colindale, north west London.
- PressReader - Digital access to newspapers and popular publications from the UK and all around the world. This service offers newspapers in 60 languages and is available within libraries and remotely from home with your library card number.
- Access to Research - Within libraries you can access academic and scientific journals.
Milton Keynes Statistics
The Reference Library has a statistics collection covering a wide range of topics. Most of the statistics concentrate on the UK, but we also have some on the European Union and other countries.
- Milton Keynes Council Statistics - Statistics for the area of Milton Keynes including data on population, 2001 census and unemployment.
- MK Insight - A one-stop-shop for information about Milton Keynes and the surrounding area, including statistics.
- The Local Studies and Archives Department has a collection of historical statistics for the Milton Keynes area, covering population, crime, employment and general facts and figures.
UK National Statistics
- Visit the official UK statistics website. Many publications are available on the site free of charge.
EU and International Statistics
- Official Statistics on the Web - This gateway is a quick way to locate statistics on the internet. You can search by country, region and topic.
- Nationmaster - This is a massive central data source and a handy way to geographically compare nations.
- Eurostat - Official European Union statistics website. It provides extensive information on EU statistics, industries and markets.
- OECD - The OECD is a group of 30 member countries sharing a commitment to democratic government and the market economy. Best known for its publications and its statistics, its work covers economic and social issues from macroeconomics, to trade, education, development and science and innovation.
- United Nations Statistics Division - A list of links to National Statistics offices for countries worldwide.
Last Updated: 19 July 2021