Guide to Conservatories
Building regulations will generally apply if you want to build an extension to your home, however conservatories are normally exempt from building regulations when:
- They are built at ground level and are less than 30 square metres in floor area.
- The conservatory is separated from the house by external quality walls, doors or windows.
- Any heating system is independent from that serving the main house with separate temperature and on/off controls.
- At least half of the new wall and three quarters of the roof is either glazed or translucent material.
- Any glazing to "critical areas" must have toughened or laminated safety glass (complying with Part N).
- An escape window serving a room in the roof/loft conversion is not above the conservatory.
- New electrical circuits or works are carried out by a Part P approved electrician
Evidence of Exempt status for your conservatory when selling your property - Please download and complete the Exemption application form and return to us with a fee of £28 (inc VAT).
Last Updated: 30 November 2017