The Development Plan and SPDs/SPGs
The following documents outline the existing development and use of land for Milton Keynes, including the appropriate planning application policies:
Following a successful referendum, neighbourhood plans became part of the Development Plan, taking precedence over the existing non-strategic policies. Details of all neighbourhood plans within the borough are available here.
Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs)/Guidance (SPGs)
SPDs provide detailed guidance on policies and proposals in the Development Plan documents. These are not subject to an independent examination, and have a simpler preparation process than Development Plan documents. They must, however, relate to a policy in the Development Plan or saved Local Plan, and cannot be used to set a policy that should be the subject of independent examination.
Milton Keynes Council Revocation of existing Supplementary Planning Guidance Documents, November 2019.
At a Milton Keynes Council delegated decision meeting on Tuesday 19 November 2019, Councillor Hannah O’Neill, the Cabinet Member for Healthier and Stronger Communities, in accordance with Regulation 15 (2) of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012, revoked the following Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) documents:
- Northern Expansion Area Development Framework SPG (May 2004);
- Oxley Park Development Brief SPG (May 2004);
- Oakgrove Millennium Community Development Framework (September 2004);
- Wolverton West End Development Framework SPG (September 2004);
- Stantonbury Park Development Brief SPG (January 2006); and
- Forecourt Shops at Petrol Filling Stations SPG (March 2007).
In accordance with The Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012, the Council is ceasing to make these withdrawn SPG documents available.
Among the reasons why these SPG documents are being revoked by the Council are:
- Their content is based on the 2005 Local Plan which has been replaced by a new Local Plan (Plan:MK 2016-2031) adopted in March 2019
- The development to which the SPG is related has been completed
- The SPGs are inconsistent with national policy and guidance or Plan:MK.
The delegated decision report of the 19 November can be viewed here (PDF, 303KB)
In accordance with Regulation 15 (1) (a) of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012, the Council’s Revocation Statement of Fact giving notice that Milton Keynes Council has revoked the Supplementary Planning Guidance documents listed at 1-6 above and the reasons for their revocation can be viewed here (PDF, 207KB)
For any queries on the revocation of these documents, please contact the Development Plans team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planning Obligations SPGs/SPDs
Site Specific SPDs/SPGs
All other SPDs/SPGs
Last Updated: 13 December 2019