Help us to plan the future of Milton Keynes
October 2017 - Proposed Submission Plan:MK October 2017
Following its approval at the Milton Keynes Council meeting on 18 October, we are now consulting on the Proposed Submission Plan:MK October 2017.
The consultation period within which you may submit comments on the plan will be from 8 November until no later than 5.00pm on 20 December.
The consultation will focus on whether Plan:MK has been prepared in accordance with legal and procedural requirements and whether it meets the tests of soundness set out in national planning policy. The tests of soundness are whether Plan:MK is or has been:
- Positively prepared – Where it is reasonable to do so and consistent with achieving sustainable development; does the Proposed Submission Plan:MK seek to meet objectively assessed development needs in full, in addition to the unmet development needs of any neighbouring authority where this applies?
- Justified – When considered against the evidence and any reasonable alternatives, is the plan the most appropriate strategy to meet Milton Keynes' development needs?
- Effective – Will the Proposed Submission Plan:MK be deliverable over the intended period to 2031, and is it based on effective joint working on relevant cross-boundary strategic priorities?
- Consistent with national policy – Would the Proposed Submission Plan:MK enable the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with the National Planning Policy Framework?
Formal notification of the consultation will be sent to everyone on our consultation database via letter or email on or shortly before 8 November. All comments which are submitted by 5pm on 20 December 2017 will be considered not by Milton Keynes Council but by the independent Planning Inspector appointed to examine the plan.
The Proposed Submission Plan:MK October 2017 document and other Proposed Submission documents which support the consultation will be made available for inspection throughout the duration of the consultation at MKC’s Civic Offices (temporary reception area) and MKC’s Saxon Court Offices as well the borough’s libraries (Central Library, Kingston, Newport Pagnell, Olney, Stony Stratford, Westcroft, Woburn Sands, Wolverton). Further information is available within the Statement of Representations Procedure (PDF, 100KB).
As part of the consultation process, Officers of the Council will be staffing an exhibition on the Proposed Submission Plan:MK in the Central Library in Central Milton Keynes from 7 – 10 November.
To read and comment upon the Proposed Submission Plan:MK October 2017 please go to the Council’s consultation portal http://miltonkeynes.objective.co.uk/portal/. Alongside the Proposed Submission Plan:MK October 2017 (PDF, 4.4MB) document, the following supporting documents are available in the ‘Supporting Documents’ tab within the consultation portal:
- Proposed Submission Plan:MK October 2017 Policies Map Schedule;
- Sustainability Appraisal Report;
- Sustainability Appraisal Report Non-Technical Summary;
- Habitats Regulations Assessment Report;
- Statement of Consultation;
- Statement of Representations Procedure;
- Guidance Note for Respondents;
- Equalities Impact Assessment of Proposed Submission Plan:MK
- Proposed Submission PlanMK Oct 2017 Consultation Response Form
- Proposed Submission PlanMK Oct 2017 Sustainability Appraisal/Habitat Regulations Assessment Response Form
- Exhibition Boards
You can also submit comments by downloading and completing the Proposed Submission Plan:MK Response Form (PDF, 220KB) and/or Sustainability Appraisal/Habitats Regulation Assessment Response Form (PDF, 214KB), and send it to Milton Keynes Council by 5pm on 20 December 2017 via email to email@example.com or by post to:
Growth, Economy and Culture,
Milton Keynes Council,
1 Saxon Gate East,
Central Milton Keynes,
Further information on the consultation and how to respond is available below:
Evidence Base for Proposed Submission Plan:MK October 2017
The technical studies and evidence which supports the Proposed Submission Plan:MK October 2017 are available here.
Following the completion of the consultation period on the Draft Plan:MK, all representations submitted can now be viewed at Draft Plan:MK Received Comments.
Draft Plan Consultation (March 2017)
Plan:MK (Draft Plan:MK Consultation document (PDF, 9.2MB)) is the development strategy for Milton Keynes outlining how the Borough will grow over the next few years. It is the Council’s new Local Plan for the homes, jobs and infrastructure that will be needed in the Borough for the period until 2031.
Milton Keynes’ population is expected to increase to over 300,000 by 2031 so we need to start managing this growth now.
Created and written using the ideas, comments and feedback from residents and key groups in MK, and independent evidence assessments, the plan covers how and where future development sites will be.
26,500 new homes will be provided over the next 15 years – most already have planning permission with further homes earmarked for development on brownfield sites and sustainable urban extensions to the east and south of MK.
This forward planning is vital to ensure that we get the right balance of housing and industrial development and our local economy continues to thrive; but we also need to maintain what makes MK special - our large amount of green open space, unique grid road and redway networks and the right infrastructure like schools and health provision.
The Key Features of Plan:MK
Call for Sites
The Council as part of the consultation also undertook a "Call for Sites" to assist in the preparation of a Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA), which will help to inform, and provide part of the evidence base for Plan:MK. Further details on the SHLAA can be found at our SHLAA webpage.
February 2017 (Cabinet)
The Draft Preferred Options Plan:MK was approved for consultation at the Cabinet meeting held on 21 February 2017.
The documents presented at Cabinet can be viewed at following link:
Previous Consultation stages
Strategic Development Directions Consultation: 13 January – 6 April 2016
The consultation sought feedback on a range of development directions that emerged as part of the Plan:MK workshops held in Spring 2015. The consultation provided an opportunity to comment on these development directions or suggest other ideas as to how and where Milton Keynes should grow in the future.
- Plan:MK Strategic Development Directions Consultation Document, Jan - April 2016 (PDF, 2.8MB)
- Responses to SDD Consultation
- Strategic Development Directions Consultation - Summary of Comments (PDF, 1019KB)
Vision Workshops: Spring 2015
A series of workshops were held with a range of key stakeholders to understand what their priorities and ambitions are for the future of the Borough, and to get thoughts on how and where Milton Keynes might grow, and what it might look be like in the future.
Plan:MK Topic Papers: September – December 2014
The first consultation stage for Plan:MK asked stakeholders to explore the various issues that the plan would need to consider through a series of Topic Papers covering a range of issues.
- All the topic papers consulted on can be viewed in the ‘via the following links:
Growth in Housing Topic Paper (PDF, 8.7MB)
Employment and Economic Growth Topic Paper (PDF, 6.7MB)
Town Centres and Retail Topic Paper (PDF, 7.1MB)
Transport and Travel Topic Paper (PDF, 6.4MB)
Provision of Physical and Social Infrastructure Topic Paper (PDF, 5.8MB)
Culture, Recreation and Quality of Life Topic Paper (PDF, 4.9MB)
Rural Issues (PDF, 9.1MB)
Climate Change and Sustainability Topic Paper (PDF, 16.5MB)
Open Space and the Natural Environment Topic Paper (PDF, 19.3MB)
Quality of Place Topic Paper (PDF, 7.1MB)
Duty to Cooperate Topic Paper (PDF, 5.8MB)
The Way Forward Development Strategy Topic Paper (PDF, 21.4MB)
- All comments received can be viewed at: Topic Paper Comments
- A summary report of all the comments received can also be viewed at; PlanMK Topic Papers - Report of Comments, May 2015 (PDF, 2MB)
If you would like further information on the consultations carried out, and preparation of Plan:MK to-date, a detailed note of progress can be viewed here: PlanMK historic consultation timeline (PDF, 112KB)
Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report
As one of the documents to support the preparation of the Plan:MK, we will undertake a Sustainability Appraisal (incorporating a Strategic Environmental Assessment) of the emerging plan, to assess the overall sustainability of the plan and the options and policies within it.
The first stage of the process is to prepare a Scoping Report, which sets out the way in which the Sustainability Appraisal will be used through the plan preparation process. We consulted on this Scoping Report alongside the Topic Papers at the end of 2014.
A copy of the Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report can also be viewed at: Plan:MK Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report, October 2014 (PDF, 1.8MB)
Last Updated: 4 December 2017