What is Plan:MK?
The key features of Plan:MK are:
- 7,600 new homes across MK: 1,000 in rural villages, 1,000 in the south-east urban extension, 5,000 within the city and 600 in Eaton Leys
- Allocated land for employment, south of Caldecotte
- Creating jobs through the development and growth of the east-west growth corridor
- Identification of land east of the M1 for housing and employment, after 2031 (or earlier)
- Providing different types of properties, including affordable homes (33%), housing association properties and private rentals
- Educational facilities, including a new University
- Protecting existing open spaces and providing easy access to open areas and parklands for new housing
- Ensuring proper infrastructure is in place in growth areas, funded by development (e.g. schools, health, broadband etc.)
Current Stage of Plan:MK
We have submitted the proposed submission version of Plan:MK to the inspectorate for an independent examination. Details of the submission are available on the Plan:MK Examination page.
Timeline of Plan:MK
The first consultation stage used topic papers to explore issues that the plan would need to consider. These included:
Growth in Housing Topic Paper (PDF, 8.7MB)
Employment and Economic Growth Topic Paper (PDF, 6.7MB)
Town Centres and Retail Topic Paper (PDF, 7.1MB)
Transport and Travel Topic Paper (PDF, 6.4MB)
Provision of Physical and Social Infrastructure Topic Paper (PDF, 5.8MB)
Culture, Recreation and Quality of Life Topic Paper (PDF, 4.9MB)
Rural Issues (PDF, 9.1MB)
Climate Change and Sustainability Topic Paper (PDF, 16.5MB)
Open Space and the Natural Environment Topic Paper (PDF, 19.3MB)
Quality of Place Topic Paper (PDF, 7.1MB)
Duty to Cooperate Topic Paper (PDF, 5.8MB)
The Way Forward Development Strategy Topic Paper (PDF, 21.4MB)
A series of vision workshops were held with stakeholders, to understand ambitions and priorities for Milton Keynes’ growth. A report can be accessed here.
Following the suggestions made in the spring 2015 workshops, feedback and ideas on growth were sought through a consultation. More information can be found in the following documents:
The Draft Preferred Options Plan:MK was approved for consultation at the Cabinet meeting.
Consultation on the Draft Plan:MK commenced. This was the development strategy which outlined the new Local Plan for Milton Keynes until 2031. The strategy showed the growth of homes, jobs and infrastructure.
As part of the consultation, the council undertook a ‘Call for Sites’, to assist preparation of a Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA. More information is on the SHLAA webpage.
A six-week consultation period was held in November and December on the Proposed Submission Plan:MK. You can read more information via the following links:
Last Updated: 19 September 2018