Flood and Water Management / Drainage

Milton Keynes Council is a Lead Local Flood Authority (under the Flood and Water Management Act 2010) with a responsibility for managing the following types of flooding:

  • Surface Water Flooding – this includes flooding from rainfall runoff from surfaces such as roads, roofs and patios. For more information refer to the Surface Water Flood Risk Maps.
  • Ordinary Watercourses – this includes flooding from drains and ditches, but excludes main rivers that are managed by the Environment Agency. A map of the main rivers is available on the Environment Agency’s website
  • Groundwater flooding – this includes flooding caused by heavy and sustained levels of rainfall capable of increasing the groundwater table.

What to do in a flood emergency

We have produced a handy five step guide here to help you in the event of a flood emergency and what should you do.

Our main responsibilities as a LLFA include:

  • investigating and reporting on significant flood events in the borough
  • establishing and maintaining a register for all significant flood risk assets in the county
  • producing a Local Flood Risk Management Strategy to manage surface water, ordinary watercourses and groundwater flooding in partnership with other risk management authorities in the county
  • ensuring that new developments are designed and built in a sustainable manner which does not increase flood risk and which reduces flood risk whenever possible
  • consenting new work which affects the flow of ordinary watercourses
  • the power to request information relating to flooding from any organisation or individual
  • the power to designate significant flood risk assets or features, formally recording the feature as a land charge so that it cannot be removed without permission from Milton Keynes Council and can therefore continue to protect people and property from flooding
  • the power to enforce remedial works on unapproved construction work within ordinary watercourses or those not undertaking their landowner (riparian) responsibilities

If you are looking to report a flooding issue please use our Report blocked drainage or waterways form 

Last Updated: 2 September 2021