Plan:MK adopted by council
Thursday 21 March 2019
- The next chapter in the growth of the city includes protecting green spaces, based around original MK design principles, delivering affordable homes and infrastructure to meet the needs of additional growth.
Plan:MK, the local plan setting out how Milton Keynes will grow until 2031, has been approved by full council as part of the formal ‘Development Plan’ for the city and will shape future planning applications to deliver high quality and sustainable growth across the borough.
The plan sets out important requirements for new development which includes the following:
- Development should be based on the original principles of Milton Keynes, keeping MK distinct and special.
- Green space must be protected and residents of new housing should have the same access to open space and parkland as current communities.
- Development that makes the most of the East-West Growth Corridor and national infrastructure projects, which will create more investment and high quality jobs in MK.
- 31% of new housing to be affordable homes, with new high-quality and sustainable homes, adequate school provision, and the utilities people need (including high speed broadband).
The positive vision allocates land for more new homes and other development across MK with a framework to address housing needs, economic growth and social priorities.
Plan:MK also sets out a vision for MK as a green and spacious place with a thriving economy and new facilities, including a state-of-the-art university in the city centre.
By 2031, the population of the city is expected to rise to more than 310,000, with a minimum of 26,500 new homes delivered by Plan:MK to meet this demand - of which almost 20,000 are already in the planning pipeline.
Council Leader Councillor Pete Marland said: “This is a significant milestone in meeting our growth agenda. Planning for the future is vital to get the right balance of housing and other development."
"We want everyone in the city to have a home that they can afford, decent jobs and a long and healthy life. Plan:MK will help map and keep the city special with our unique design and the right infrastructure needed such as schools and health services. It ensures that we control where development takes place, protecting our rural areas whilst growing MK.”
Plan:MK is available to read on the website.