Flooding - frequently asked questions

If you need practical assistance from the council in the event of a flood please call us on 01908 691691.

Preparing for a flood

If you're worried about a potential flood, the National Flood Forum offers advice on how to stay safe and protect your belongings - including advice on products you can buy to protect your home.  We also have advice on our emergency planning pages.

Sandbags can help limit water in some circumstances although they're not always useful (you might want to read the Government sandbags guidance).  If flooding is predicted in MK we'll do our best to share sandbags with local communities, stocks allowing, and we'll let you know where to collect them through our main social media pages.  Sandbags can also be purchased from DIY stores. 

If you need to travel during a flood, please check for flood warnings first.  We'll also share details of local road closures on social media.

After a flood

Phone your insurance company as soon as possible and follow their advice. Take photographs before you start cleaning and ask your insurer before disposing of furniture and carpets.  We'll give advice on our social media pages about how to dispose of large items following significant flooding - after previous floods we've picked up items from communities.

Protect yourself while clearing up - eg wear wellies and gloves.  It's a good idea to wash clothes used for cleaning separately from your other clothes, and to wash all soft items on a 60°C cycle.

You may find some rogue traders try to take advantage following a flood.  If you're approached by someone who offers to dispose of large items, make sure they have a waste disposal license as otherwise they might just fly tip your belongings.  Watch out for short term loans with extremely high interest rates.  If you're in financial trouble, contact us - as you may be able to access a hardship fund (details below from the May 2018 floods).


May 2018 floods: FAQs

These FAQs explain how we’re helping residents whose properties were severely affected by the flooding at the end of May 2018. If you have a question that isn’t listed here then please call us on 01908 252570 or see us at Civic Offices on 1 Saxon Gate East, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 3EJ

Is it true that Milton Keynes residents severely affected by the flooding can get a £200 payment?

Yes, this is called a Hardship Fund (explained below) and all residents who were severely affected by the flooding (inside their properties) can apply. To do this call us on 01908 252570, or come in to see us at the Civic Offices and we will help you with your application form. We can also post a form to you. You can also apply for Local Welfare Provision (financial assistance).

Is there a closing date for applications?

Yes, the closing date for applications is 31 July 2018.

What is a Hardship Fund?

An emergency Hardship Fund is a grant which will be available to those who were severely affected by the floods and in immediate need of support. The fund will cover the costs of buying items such as food, clothes and laundry. To apply for the hardship fund.

What does Council Tax Suspension mean?

Council Tax action has been suspended for those homes affected by the floods on 27/28 May 2018.

What happens to my council rent?

We will automatically waive council rent for two months, for council tenants who have suffered significant flooding. No council tenant will be left out of pocket if they have had to pay for temporary accommodation due to the floods.

I need help with buying food, clothing, etc. What can I do?

Please get in touch with us as soon as you can by coming to the Civic Offices or calling 01908 252570. We will be able to help you apply for a Hardship Fund (£200), and offer additional advice and support.

We can post a Hardship Fund application form to you.

You can also apply for Local Welfare Provision (financial assistance) Again, we can help you with this – just get in touch on 01908 252570 or come in to see us. 

I need temporary accommodation as my property is uninhabitable because of damage caused by flooding. How can you help?

Please call us immediately on 01908 691691 or come into the Civic Offices at 1 Saxon Gate East, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 3EJ.

What if I live in a privately rented property?

Speak with your landlord to discuss insurance. You can also apply for a Hardship Fund if you’ve been severely affected by calling us on 01908 252570.

I own my property what can the council do to help me?

Speak with your home insurance provider to discuss your options. If you have been severely affected by the floods you can apply for the Hardship Fund by calling 01908 252570 or apply for a Local Welfare Provision (financial assistance).

I don’t have any insurance, what should I do?

If you do not have any insurance then contact the Local Welfare Provision. You can also call us on 01908 252570.

I have home insurance but what should I do next?

Call your insurer to discuss excess fees. You might have to pay excess fees but if you meet the Hardship Fund criteria, you may qualify for financial assistance. Call your insurer in the first instance or us on 01908 252270 to discuss eligibility for the Hardship Fund.

I need to dispose of my furniture/carpet that was ruined by the flooding – what can I do?

If you have furniture, carpet, etc that has been damaged by flooding then we will collect it for free, simply call us on 01908 691691 to book your collection.

Is it true that I do not have to pay my rent if I’m a council tenant?

Yes, this is only available to Milton Keynes council tenants who have been severely affected by the floods. Please call 01908 252570 for more information.

Do I have to pay my Council Tax if I’m affected by the flooding?

Council Tax enforcement action has been suspended for those homes affected by the floods on the 27/28 May 2018.

How do you decide that Council Tax is not payable for homes affected by the flooding?

In line with local policy, there will be 100% discount for properties that are empty and unfurnished for less than a month. A 50% discount for unoccupied and unfurnished properties undergoing major repair work to render them habitable or where structural alterations are needed or taking place. The discount can be awarded up to a maximum period of 12 months. All council taxpayers should contact 01908 252570 in the first instance for more advice.

My home has been flooded before, what are you doing to stop it happening again?

On Sunday 27 May an unusually high amount of water fell in a short amount of time which the drains would not usually be able to deal with. As a precaution in response to this we have cleared both council owned and private drains and requested Anglian Water clear their drains accordingly.

Milton Keynes Council will commission an independent expert review into issues such as drainage, street cleaning, and flood prevention measures to address public concerns about these issues and make any recommendations as required.



Last Updated: 1 August 2018