Fee Policy and Terms & Conditions of Booking
Terms and conditions of booking
- Payment is needed at enrolment to secure a place.
- Courses may be moved online at very short notice, where appropriate and you may need a suitable electronic device to access this if necessary.
- Payment in instalments may be possible where course fees are £1000 or more. You are liable for the full fee, even if you withdraw before the end of the course.
- A limited amount of Advanced Learning Loans and Bursary funds may be available to support the cost of studying Level 3 and 4 Certificate and Diploma courses for students aged 19+.
Application must be made 1 month prior to the course starting.
- Learners who do not meet the residency requirements for ESFA subsidy may enrol on courses at full cost. The charge will be double the standard fee plus any awarding body registration and certification fees.
- To comply with statutory requirements Community Learning MK may need to collect additional information from you during and after your course.
- Please inform Community Learning MK of any change to your contact details or benefit status.
- Fees for certain courses are based on an intended minimum enrolment of 8 learners.
- Examination fees are included in the course fee except where otherwise stated in the course description.
- Corrections to exam certificates need to be notified within 14 days, otherwise the learner is liable for a correction fee.
- Course fees do not include materials, equipment, book or crèche costs, except where otherwise stated.
- It is inadvisable to buy materials for your course until you are certain it is running.
- It may occasionally be necessary for reasons beyond the control of Community Learning MK to change the content, timing, venue or tutor of a programme.
- We are unable to accept responsibility for any damage to or loss of student property. Any valuable items should be covered by your own insurance policy.
- Cars and cycles are parked at the owner’s risk.
- If your course involves physical activity you should be medically fit or have your doctor’s approval.
- Smoking is not permitted at any of our venues.
- Community Learning MK expects all learners and staff to play an active part in promoting mutual respect and challenging any form of discrimination or abuse. Community Learning MK reserves the right to exclude any learner who does not uphold this policy.
- Community Learning MK will admit learners to one GCSE course only per academic year due to the amount of work required.
- Where a course is cancelled, enrolled learners should normally be refunded within 7 to 10 days of cancellation. If you have not received a refund once 10 days have passed, please contact our Reception office on 01908 254070.
Concessions and course fees
Please note that courses with a code containing X have no concessions and that we no longer offer a discount for learners over the age of 65 unless they also receive one of the benefits listed below.
Reduced fees on course codes containing C
Community Learning MK offers a 20% discount on personal development courses to learners who are/receive:
- Carer’s Allowance
- Council Tax Benefit
- Disability Allowance/Personal Independence Payment
- Universal Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Incapacity Benefit/Employment Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Pension Guarantee Credit
- Unwaged dependant of someone claiming one of these
A 20% discount may be available on certain courses for learners who are:
- Referred to us by their GP
- Learning Sign Language or Lip Reading because they are deaf, or caring for someone who is deaf
Reduced fees on courses that that offer a qualification
Community Learning MK offers full fee remission on courses leading to a qualification to learners who are:
- Unemployed, in receipt of active benefits i.e.
- Job Seeker’s Allowance (including National Insurance contributions only)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Work Related Group only)
- Universal Credit
- In employment or self-employed but earning less than £17,374.50 per annum (you will need to provide a current wage slip, contract or tax return.)
- Unemployed, in receipt of other income-based benefit including Universal Credit and enrolling on the course to improve employment prospects.*
* You will be asked to sign a declaration to confirm this.
Are you 19-23?
- 19-23 year olds who do not have a full level 2 qualification i.e. 5 GCSEs or more at grades 4-9/A-C or an NVQ Level 2 are eligible for free places on Intermediate or Advanced Apprenticeships and Level 2 Diplomas.
- All 19-23 year olds are eligible for free places on their first full level 3 qualification and also Level 3 Awards and Certificates if they are unemployed and the qualification will help them into work.
All new applications for reduced fees must be accompanied by a signed confirmation of eligibility. Additional evidence of eligibility may be requested where fees are subsidised from support funds.
Cancellation and refund policy
We may, regretfully, have to cancel courses if we do not receive enough enrolments, or close them if there is a high level of non-attendance or withdrawal. In these circumstances you will be informed as soon as possible by telephone or email and a refund will be made by crediting your credit/debit card or your account with us. It is not possible for us to make refunds in cash.
To avoid disappointing learners who enrol on courses which do not attract quite enough learners to be fully viable, Community Learning MK reserves the right to adjust the course length. For example a course may be delivered more intensively and end a week early. Under these circumstances no refunds or partial refunds will be possible.
Session cancellation due to extreme weather
Wherever possible we will offer replacement of extended sessions to make up for sessions cancelled due to extreme weather, tutor illness or other unforeseen reasons. In the unusual event that this is not possible, we will recompense learners by issuing a pro-rata refund or credit against a future course.
Cancellation or transfer by the learner
If you need to withdraw from a course and inform us in writing at least 10 working days before the course is due to start, you will be eligible for a refund of all fees minus a £30 administration charge. If you withdraw from a course at any other time, you will not be eligible for a refund. However, in exceptional circumstances and at our discretion, we may be able to offer some credit against a future course.
Requests to transfer courses may also incur a £30 administration charge unless recommended by your tutor or a member of Community Learning MK staff because a course at a different level will better meet your learning needs.
Last Updated: 8 July 2021