Affordable Things to Do
In light of the pandemic, and the massive impact on young people's mental health, YCAB members are focussing on this campaign again, hoping to build on the work of the 2017-2019 action group. Currently, the group is working in conjunction with Milton Keynes Council to deliver mental health first aid workshops as part of the "Summer of Play."
- Summer Challenge
- Summer Lock Down Activities/Life Skills Videos
- Affordable Activities Online
- Affordable Places To Go
Look no further, you can take part in the YCAB Summer Challenge. We have created a 10 part challenge to give you something interesting to do over the Summer and complete in your own time. This PDF contains 10 different activities (PDF, 467KB) that will test your creative limits and entertain you; from photography to comedy these activities will keep you and your friends busy. We would love to hear from you if you complete any of these activities so feel free to tag us on our social media, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
This was the second biggest issue voted for by young people in MK in the Youth Issues ballot in February 2019. Members of YCAB have been working on a few things, including running a cheap cinema showing in Oct 2019, campaigning for a young peoples’ space in the centre and researching places to go. They are also working on the All In 1 Card to get more offers.
In summer 2020 we released entertaining video activities so that you can have fun whilst learning something new. Over the 6 weeks of holidays we released a different activity each week, on our Facebook and Instagram. Have a look at the videos on YouTube.
- How to paint portraits with Temi. Check out how she creates a portrait and find out how to do some cartoon characters along the way.
- Making a no egg quiche - Cook along with Roz and learn how to make something that is vegan.
- Introduction to den building - See how Dylan builds dens with house hold items.
- How to speak basic Tamil – Alessandro is one of the 77 million people that speak this language, could you be another?
- How to make banana bread - Baking with Madi and use up those over ripe bananas – never to waste a banana!
- An introduction to Italian - Learn the basics with YCAB members Pietro, Luca and Alessandro.
- How to sew on a button with ease - Mending your clothes with Kathryn.
Here is a list of some fun and mostly completely free activities for you to do and some amazing and useful skills you could gain! There are also several ways to entertain yourself for no price at all. This affordable things to do activities list has activities ranging from learning a new language to learning how to code, to doing yoga, so much variety that YOU can choose from. It’s perfect for trying things you’ve never done before. Download the list of activities here. (PDF, 913KB) Let us know on social media if you try any of them out!
The links below are places in Milton Keynes which are affordable for young people. Other activities exist; let us know if you have any recommendations. (Please note we have not been paid to endorse these websites)
This relates to both outdoor and indoor leisure activities for young people.
This relates to entertainment venues in Milton Keynes.
Most parks in Milton Keynes are free. Going on a wakeboard, kayaking and canoeing, birdwatching are some examples of outdoors activities that you can do in Milton Keynes.
The Milton Keynes Music Faculty website has got lots of information about music in Milton Keynes.
There are many youth organisations in Milton Keynes such as:
This is a big issue for young people which might stop them from taking part in activities. There are lots of organisations offering advice, support and information for young people on mental health.
Last Updated: 3 September 2021