Advanced Learning Loans
From the Academic Year 2014/15 loans were introduced for learners aged 24 and above who are in further education and training/studying at Level 3 and above. This includes Advanced and Higher Apprenticeships. This is aimed at courses or programmes that start on, or after 1st August 2015. As of August 2016 this has been extended to include learners over the age of 19 when their course begins.
• From 2016/17, Advanced Learning Loans will be available for learners:
- aged 19 and over;
- studying at level 3 or above, including QCF Certificates and Diplomas, Access to Higher Education Diplomas, A Levels and Advanced and Higher Apprenticeships.
- are UK or EEA nationals who have lived in the UK for more than 3 years
• Learners (not employers) can apply for a loan to meet the tuition costs of their course, which will be paid directly to their college or training organisation on their behalf.
• The loans will not be means tested and will not be subject to credit checks. To be eligible the learner must meet the required criteria.
• The minimum loan amount is £300.
• The loans application process will launch in April 2019 for courses beginning from 1 August 2019 (academic year 2019/20). The applications, assessment, payments and repayments will be administered by Student Finance England. The same organisation provides financial support for Higher Education students.
• The loan application will cover the duration of the course.
• A learner can access up to four loans, each for a different type of course or at a different level. Student Finance England can make exceptions where the learner has been unable to complete the course due to compelling personal reasons.
• Loan repayments will only start when the individual has left their course, entered employment and is earning more than £21,000 a year.
• Repayments are set at 9% of income above the threshold and there will be a single payment irrespective of the number of loans a learner has taken out.
• Any outstanding balance on a loan will be written off after 30 years.
For more information on Advanced Learning Loans please select the links below:
How do I apply?
1) Please contact us on 01908 556700 to discuss the availability of your chosen course.
2) Fill in an enrolment form ensuring to confirm that you are applying for a Level 3 loan.
3) You will be issued with a confirmation letter of your place on the course. Using the information supplied within the letter you can then apply for the loan to pay for the course.
For a quick guide on how to apply, select the link below:
To apply for a loan, you can access the Directgov website below:
Need help with the online application? View the link below for help:
If you require more information on the loans process, please contact the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.
Last Updated: 13 March 2019