Free School Meals
Who is eligible?
You must be in receipt of one of the below benefits to be eligible for a Free School Meal for your child/children.
- Income Support
- Employment & Support Allowance – Income related
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (NOT Contribution Based JSA)
- Child Tax Credit only (with a combined family income of less than £16,190 per annum as assessed by HM Revenues & Customs) Please note, anyone receiving Working Tax Credit, regardless of income, will NOT qualify for FSMs.
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
- National Asylum Seekers Support (NASS)
- Guaranteed Element of Pension Tax Credit
How do I apply?
You can register and find out if your child is eligible by visiting the Citizens Portal.
The system is quick and simple to use and can be accessed via a smartphone or hand held device. If you qualify, please show the Application Summary to your school on your smartphone or print a copy for your school.
Please register with the portal, even if you have applied and been unsuccessful in the past. By doing so we will have your contact details and can inform you straight away if your eligibility changes.
Information for schools
Please refer to the below guides to assist with maximising the effectiveness of the online eligibility checking system:
- Eligibility report guide for schools (PDF, 568KB)
- Frequently asked questions for schools (PDF, 184KB)
Last Updated: 10 October 2017