Governors/trustees and other volunteers Privacy Notice (Milton Keynes Council)
Everything we do with information about people, such as how we collect it and who we share it with, has to comply with the Data Protection Act and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into force in May 2018. A key part of this is being open about how we use information and what rights you have in respect of information we hold about you.
If anything in this notice is not clear, or if you have further queries, please get in contact with the Data Protection Officer using the details at the end.
The personal data we hold
We process data relating to those volunteering as a governor/trustee. Personal data that we may collect, use, store and share (when appropriate) about you includes, but is not restricted to:
- Contact details
- Evidence of qualifications
- Employment details
- Information about business and pecuniary interests
We may also collect, store and use information about you that falls into “special categories” of more sensitive personal data. This may include information about (where applicable):
- Race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation and political opinions
- Disability and access requirements
We process this data this personal data under Public task.
Why we use this data
The purpose of processing this data is to support Milton Keynes Council to:
- Establish and maintain effective governance
- Meet statutory obligations for publishing and sharing governors’/trustees’ details
- Facilitate safe recruitment, as part of our safeguarding obligations towards pupils
- Undertake equalities monitoring
- Ensure that appropriate access arrangements can be provided for volunteers who require them
In a small number of cases we will process personal data solely on the basis of consent, such as where you might opt in to receive email updates or marketing details about certain council services. This will be clearly explained when you sign-up to that service.
Some of the reasons listed above for collecting and using personal information about you overlap, and there may be several grounds which justify our use of your data.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
We do not share information about you with any third party without your consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so.
Where it is legally required, or necessary (and it complies with data protection law) we may share personal information about you with:
- Government departments or agencies – to meet our legal obligations to share information about governors/trustees
- Our local authority – to meet our legal obligations to share certain information with it, such as details of governors
- Suppliers and service providers (e.g. Governorhub, CAPITA and MKPDC) – to enable them to provide the service we have contracted them for, such as governor/trustee support
- The school of which you are a governor or trustee and/or other schools
- Professional advisers and consultants
- Police forces, courts
How long we keep hold of information for
We only keep information for as long as it is needed. This will be based on either a legal requirement (where a law says we have to keep information for a specific period of time) or accepted practice.
How to access the personal information we hold about you
Individuals have a right to make a ‘subject access request’ to gain access to personal information that we hold about them.
If you make a subject access request, and if we do hold information about you, we will:
- Give you a description of it
- Tell you why we are holding and processing it, and how long we will keep it for
- Explain where we got it from, if not from you
- Tell you who it has been, or will be, shared with
- Let you know whether any automated decision-making is being applied to the data, and any consequences of this
- Give you a copy of the information in an intelligible form
You may also have a right for your personal information to be transmitted electronically to another organisation in certain circumstances.
If you would like to make a request, please contact our data protection officer.
Your other rights regarding your data
Under data protection law, individuals have certain rights regarding how their personal data is used and kept safe. You have:
- Right of access (to receive a copy of your personal data)
- Right to rectification (to request data is corrected inaccurate)
- Right to erasure (to request that data is deleted)
- Right to restrict processing (to request we don’t use your data in a certain way)
- Right to data portability (in some cases, you can ask to receive a copy of your data in a commonly-used electronic format so that it can be given to someone else)
- Right to object (generally to make a complaint about any aspect of our use of your data)
- Right to have explained if there will be any automated decision-making, including profiling, based on your data and for the logic behind this to be explained to you.
To exercise any of these rights, please contact our data protection officer.
We take any complaints about our collection and use of personal information very seriously.
If you think that our collection or use of personal information is unfair, misleading or inappropriate, or have any other concern about our data processing, please raise this with us in the first instance.
To make a complaint, please contact our data protection officer.
Alternatively, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office:
- Report a concern online at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
- Call 0303 123 1113
- Or write to: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
If you have any questions, concerns or would like more information about anything mentioned in this privacy notice, please contact our data protection officer:
Tel. No: 01908 254767
Post: Data Protection, Milton Keynes Council, Civic Offices, 1 Saxon Gate East, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 3EJ
Last Updated: 30 March 2020