EHC Needs Assessments
The majority of children and young people with special educational needs and disability will be supported within their mainstream school through the graduated approach, quality first teaching, targeted and personalised support.
If a parent thinks that their child/young person has SEN or a disability, the SEN Team recommend that parents/carers
- Talk to the class teacher/tutor.
- Arrange a meeting with the school/settings SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) to discuss concerns and support.
If the education setting/school thinks that the child/ young person has SEN they should
- Talk to parents about their concerns and start to gather evidence such as reviews of outcomes and reports about the child's/young person's progress.
- The setting/school should give the child/young person the support they need. This could include getting advice and support from specialists outside the school (such as SEND Team and Speech and Language Therapist).
- Settings/schools will need to consider using ‘Good Practice Guidance for all learners through the graduated response (DOCX, 183KB)' when considering support required for the child/young person.
The SEN Team will be responsible for the coordination of the EHC Needs Assessment. Settings will need to complete the relevant forms and provide evidence of what support and strategies they have provided, and consider the graduated approach document and guidance notes to accompany a request.
Decisions in relation to assessment and resources with regards to SEN will be considered at the multi professional Inclusion and EHC Panel.
If you have any questions with regards to the Education, Health Care Needs Assessment please do contact the SEN team on 01908 253414.
SEND Inclusion Forum
- SEND Inclusion Forum information and Terms of Reference (DOCX, 30KB)
- SEND Inclusion Forum dates (DOCX, 27KB)
- Preparing to request an EHC Needs Assessment form (DOCX, 69KB)
- Pre and Post 16 High Needs Top Up Funding request form (DOCX, 72KB)
- Group top up funding form (DOCX, 65KB)
- Top Up Funding guidelines (DOCX, 92KB)
- Changing provision in an EHC Plan (DOCX, 61KB)
- Way forward advice (DOCX, 68KB)
Inclusion/top up guidance
EHC Needs Assessment documents
Parental requests for EHC Needs Assessment (PDF, 45KB)
EHC Plan timescale calculator (XLSX, 11KB)
Supporting Children and Young People Through a Graduated Approach (DOCX, 44KB)
EHC Plans - A Guide (DOC, 1.9MB)
Assessment for Education, Health, Care and Plan Guidelines (PDF, 44KB)
MK Accessible Strategy 2015-2018 (DOC, 112KB)
Request for EHC Plan assessment form (DOCX, 210KB)
EHC Guidelines - Cognition and Learning (DOCX, 39KB)
EHC Guidelines - Communication and Interaction (DOCX, 40KB)
EHC Guidelines - Sensory and/or Physical (DOCX, 37KB)
EHC Guidelines - Social, Emotional and mental health (DOCX, 46KB)
EHC Plan Template (DOCX, 122KB)
Seeking the view of CYP for EHC (DOCX, 67KB)
Way Forward Meeting (DOC, 69KB)
EHCPs examples of good practice from Council for Disabled Children (PDF, 1.1MB)
SEND: 19-25 year olds' entitlement to EHC Plans
Converting statements to EHC Plans
Last Updated: 27 February 2018