How we support young children with SEND in Milton Keynes

We want all children in Milton Keynes to reach their full potential. We believe that all children and young people have the right to be:

  • Healthy
  • Happy and Safe
  • Loved
  • Valued and respected
  • To have high aspirations for the future.

We want children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities to grow up with the right support, so that they have the same opportunities as other children to lead fulfilling lives.

If you think your young child may have special educational needs:

Some young children have difficulties in their development, and need additional help and support in order to reach their full potential. Sometimes this is evident from birth, and sometimes it becomes more apparent as they develop.

If you are concerned about an aspect of your child’s development, it may be helpful to talk to your Health Visitor or GP.  You could also contact your local children centre for advice and support.

All two year olds should be offered a two-year check by your health visitor. This is a useful time to talk through any concerns you may have.

If your child attends a pre-school,  day nursery,  or childminder, you could talk through your concerns with the staff/key person. They would be able to give you support and/or signpost you appropriately to services or people that may be able to help.

Young children develop at vastly different rates, and not one child’s development is the same. Sometimes young children experience difficulties that can be addressed  quite quickly with a little help and support. Other children may experience difficulties that are wider ranging and are likely to result in them having special educational needs over a longer period of time.

Support offered to you and your child

There are a range of services who offer support to young children. Often a young child’s difficulties are identified by the family health visitor. 

Sometimes the family health visitor has already referred your child to the Consultant Paediatrician or Speech and Language Therapy.

If your child has sensory needs (i.e.: visual impairment, hearing impairment or multi-sensory impairment, then it may be appropriate to seek support and advice from the Specialist Teachers: Sensory team.

Last Updated: 9 June 2020