SEN Support and EHC Needs Assessment

The majority of children and young people with special educational needs and disability will be supported within their mainstream school through the graduated approach, quality first teaching, targeted and personalised support.

What to do if you are concerned a child/young person has SEND needs

If a parent/carer thinks that their child/young person has SEN needs or a disability, the SEN Team recommend that parents/carers:

  • Talk to the class teacher/tutor. 
  • Arrange a meeting with the setting/school SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) to discuss concerns and ordinarily available support.

If the setting/school thinks that the child/ young person has SEND they should:

  • Talk to parents about their concerns and start to gather evidence such as reviews of outcomes and reports about the child's/young person's progress. 
  • The setting/school should give the child/young person the support they need. This could include getting advice and support from specialists outside of the setting/school (such as the Inclusion and Intervention Team and Speech and Language Therapist). 
  • Setting/schools will need to consider using the 'Good Practice Guidance' document when thinking about support required for the child/young person.

Information for Parents and Carers about: The Graduated Approach

All children have the right to access an education that supports their needs and helps them to meet their potential. Our guide for parents and carers (PDF, 986KB)is coproduced with other services and is deigned to help you understand how children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) are supported in settings and schools through The Graduated Approach.

SEN Support

Children and Young people who have needs that require more personalised support will be on the setting/school's SEN Register - this is known as SEN Support. Setting and schools will set outcomes and review these regularly. This may happen at parent's evenings, or more frequently depending on the individual settings/schools process and on the needs of the child/young person. 

Depending on the child/young person's need(s) and progress it may be that an Education Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment is requested. To support settings/schools in making requests for EHC Needs Assessments they should first complete the relevant SEN Support Plan document (see below), if they have not already been using this. When completing the SEN Support plan document, it may be useful to refer to the SEN Support Plan Guidance (PDF, 485KB) and worked example (PDF, 466KB). When completing the 'Tell it Once' section of the SEN Support document it may be useful to refer to the 'Tell it Once' guidance (PDF, 252KB) and completed 'Tell it Once' worked example (PDF, 371KB).

SEN Support document for settings (DOCX, 74KB)

SEN Support document for Schools (DOCX, 74KB)

Settings/schools can request that a member from the SEND Team (this could be the Inclusion and Intervention Team, or Sensory Team for example) attend the review to consider further strategies and ways forward, before submitting a request for EHC needs assessment to the SEN Team. Where it is considered and agreed that an EHC Needs Assessment is appropriate, the SEN Support Plan and additional EHC request forms (DOCX, 53KB) will need to be submitted to the SEN Team. Once submitted. the SEN team will be responsible for the coordination of the EHC Needs Assessment Process.

Assess, Plan, Do and Review (APDR)

It is recommended that an Assess, Plan, Do and Review cycle would be between 4 - 6 weeks, and that at least 2 APDR cycles have been completed before considering next steps and further support for the child/young person. With the SEN Support document settings/schools will be able to evidence the targeted interventions they have provided, with regard to the graduated approach document and the EHC guidelines.

If you have any questions regarding the Graduated Approach, SEN Support or Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment and related processes, please contact MKC SEN Team on our Duty Line 01908 657825, or via email.

Supporting Documents

COVID-19 - SEND Team Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 204KB)

EHC Plan timescale calculator (XLSX, 11KB)

EHC Plans - A Guide (DOC, 1.9MB)

EHC Planning Meetings for parents (PDF, 115KB)

EHC Planning Meetings for schools (PDF, 117KB)

Parental requests for EHC Needs Assessment (PDF, 165KB)

Assessment for Education, Health and Care Plan Guidelines (PDF, 44KB)

Seeking the view of CYP for EHC (DOCX, 67KB)

Supporting Children and Young People Through a Graduated Approach (DOCX, 44KB)

Mk Accessible Strategy 2021-24 (DOC, 117KB)

EHC Guidelines - Cognition and Learning (DOCX, 51KB)
EHC Guidelines - Communication and Interaction (DOCX, 42KB)
EHC Guidelines - Sensory and Physical (DOCX, 50KB)
EHC Guidelines - SEMH (DOCX, 42KB)

EHCPs examples of good practice from Council for Disabled Children (PDF, 1.1MB)

SEND: 19-25 year olds' entitlement to EHC Plans

EHC Reviews

EHC Plan annual review paperwork (DOCX, 59KB)

EHC Plan annual review template (DOCX, 62KB)

Annual review SEN internal process for pupils in Years 1, 5 or 11 2019-20 (DOCX, 22KB)

Annual review SEN internal process for pupils not in Years 1, 5 or 11 2019-20 (DOCX, 35KB)

SEN Finance

BACS Details for setting payments (DOC, 105KB)
Early Years Inclusion Grant guidance (DOCX, 32KB)
Personal Budgets Policy (DOC, 105KB)

EHC Plans and School Placements

Most children with an EHC plan can be taught within mainstream schools. If a child/young person has more severe or complex needs then they may need to go to a special school, or a special unit within a school.

What you need to know about choosing a school.

Guidelines for managing requests for placement and change of placements (DOC, 115KB)

Last Updated: 14 October 2021