Carers Assessment (Adults)

Assessment is an opportunity to discuss your situation, to agree what you needs are and to start to identify what support will help you.
A Carers Assessment is different to a Care and Support  Assessment

If you are caring for someone, or you intend to care for someone, and you need help to understand what your needs are and how to arrange the services you need you can ask for a carers assessment.  You can ask for this even if the person you care for does not get help from the Council and they do not need to agree to have their own Care and Support Assessment.  You will need to ask for your carers assessment from the Council of the person that you support. In Milton Keynes you can ask for an assessment for yourself, or on behalf of someone else by contacting the Access Team or, if the person concerned is already in contact with one of our services, you should get in touch with that team. 

The assessment is about you and the Council will make sure that you are able to be fully involved.  If you wish a friend or family member can help and represent you.  If you don’t have someone who can help you and you have a lot of difficulty doing the assessment yourself, the Council will find an independent advocate to help you.  As part of the assessment we may also ask for information from other people such as your family, friends, your doctor and health staff, this will be with your permission (unless there are reasons that we cannot ask you). 

During the assessment the worker will ask about:

  • your caring role and how it affects your life and wellbeing
  • your health – physical, mental and emotional issues
  • your feelings and choices about caring
  • work, study, training, leisure
  • relationships, social activities and your goals
  • housing
  • planning for emergencies e.g if you were ill

When your assessment is complete if you are asking for support funded by Adult Social Care we then will need to decide if you are eligible for this. The Care Act 2014  introduced national eligibility criteria which must be used to decide what help the council can give you.  Your needs could be eligible if you are unable to do certain things and this effects your wellbeing, this is described in the Eligibility Section.

You will receive a written copy of your completed assessment and the eligibility decision.
• If you do not have eligible needs the Council will give you information and advice about what other services can help you and may also be able put you in touch with other organisations to help you.
• If you have eligible needs, the Council will contact you to discuss what help might be available and what happens next.

A needs assessment can be carried out regardless of your financial situation and Milton Keynes Council has decided that it will not charge Carers for any services that we provide directly to them. Having a carers’ assessment will not affect your right to receive a carers’ allowance which some people receive for caring on a full-time basis.

Go to  - Financial Assessment and Charging  

Go to  - Personal Budgets, Care and Support Planning

Go back to - Care Assessment, Eligibility and Support Planning

Last Updated: 8 March 2020