Parent Carers

If you are a parent caring for a disabled child you have rights to assessment and support, this is covered by the Children and Families Act and is provided by the Children, Young People and Families Directorate.  There is a variety of support and services which may be of help to you including the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Service.

If the person you are caring for is about to reach the age of 18 years, you will be able to get a ‘Transition Assessment’ which will let you know whether you or they are likely to be eligible for support as an adult caring for another adult.

Last Updated: 7 March 2020