Supported Accommodation and Care Homes

If you are finding it difficult to manage in your current home you may be thinking of moving. If you want to move somewhere where there will be the added security of help or care support there are a number of options.

Sheltered Housing (Retirement Housing)


Sheltered housing means renting or buying your own flat or bungalow in a block or on a small estate where the other residents are older people (usually aged 55+). There are usually also communal areas such as a lounge, kitchen, laundry and gardens. Properties in most schemes are designed to make life a little easier for older people with features such as raised electric sockets, lowered worktops and walk-in showers, some will be designed to accommodate wheelchair users. Schemes will usually have a warden or manager either living on site or available during the daytime and a 24 hour emergency alarm system (sometimes called 'community alarm service') to call help if needed. Sheltered housing schemes may have people living in them who need no help with daily living, while others may need some support and personal care.

Shared Lives/ Homeshare Schemes

These offer support in a family home to people who need a some extra support: Shared Lives MK offers Day Support, Short breaks (respite) and long term placements,  Homeshare MK brings people who need some support at home and have a spare room together with people who want an affordable, sociable place to live and are happy to lend a hand around the house in return.


Sheltered Housing with Care / Extra-care Housing

For people who are more dependent and need a significant amount of support there are Sheltered Housing Schemes which have their own 'on -site' care staff. These offer a opportunity for people to live in their own home with access to 24 hour personal care and support if needed, schemes may offer support to people who are frail or people who have dementia.

Sheltered Housing is provided by private companies, Housing Associations and Local Councils. The Housing Options Service can help you to find local schemes including Milton Keynes Council Sheltered Housing / Sheltered Housing with Care  or you can search the Adult Social Care and Health Directory.

Care Homes (with /without nursing)

Care Homes provide support for people who can no longer remain safely in their own home even with support. Most homes provide long-term care and some homes also provide short term breaks and day care.

  • Care Homes without Nursing (Residential Homes) which provide accommodation, meals and twenty-four hour personal care but do not provide nursing care
  • Care Homes with Nursing for people who need regular nursing care, which is provided by a qualified nurse or under the direct supervision of a qualified nurse
  • Dual Registered Homes that provide both residential and nursing care and usually also provide a wider range of services.

If you think that you may need to move to live in a care home, there are two ways of arranging this:

  • If you have the financial resources to pay for this support you can make your own arrangements directly with the home of your choice
  • If you do not have the financial resources to pay for this support yourself or you are unable to make your own arrangements, contact the Access Team to discuss your options and, if necessary, to arrange a care and support needs assessment.

Moving into a Care Home is a major decision, we recommend that you seek advice to make sure that this is the best option for you, and consider advice on choosing a home. All Care Homes must be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) which inspects them and publishes inspection reports and service ratings. You can search for homes using the CQC website or for local homes you can search the Adult Social Care and Health Directory.


Last Updated: 29 December 2019