Care and Support Planning (Personal Budgets)

If you are eligible for social care services the information gathered in your assessment will be used to calculate the amount of money that the Council may pay to arrange the care and support you need. This is known as a 'Personal Budget' and the exact amount will be confirmed after you have completed a Care and Support Plan (in the case of adults with care and support needs) or a Support Plan (in the case of carers).

Your Plan describes how it is proposed that your needs identified in your assessment will be met, by who and how much this will cost. You have a choice of how to develop your Plan, you can:

  • Do this yourself or with support from a family member or friend.
  • Ask someone independent who has had a similar experience to yours, this is called “Peer Support and Brokerage” 
  • Request Adult Social Care to do this with you (we may arrange for a specialist service to do this on our behalf)

The support that you choose can be from different sources, and you can choose how you want to take your Personal Budget, this can be as ;

  • a Direct Payment ('one off' or ongoing money paid to you to buy your own support)
  • a Managed Service (the Local Authority will purchase services on your behalf)
  • a mixture of both

Once you have decided the types of support you would like the Council must agree:

  • that the planned support can adequately meet the needs and outcomes from your assessment
  • how you will manage your budget
  • the amount of your Personal Budget

As soon as everything is agreed you or those managing your Personal Budget can arrange your support. The agreed support will be written in a Care and Support Plan/ Support Plan and you will have a copy of this. Your Plan is a live document and will be initially reviewed after 6 - 8 weeks and then at least annually.

You can ask for a review at any time if your circumstances change. 

Last Updated: 28 July 2021