Transition - moving from children's to adults support services

Transition is the move away from children's health and support services and towards adult ones.

The Care Act places a duty on local authorities to carry out a Transition Assessment for a child, young carer or an adult caring for a child  if they are likely to have needs when they, or the child they care for, turns 18.

The local authority must assess them if it considers there is ‘significant benefit’ to the individual in doing so, regardless of whether the child or individual currently receives any services. The assessment must take account of the following things:

  • current needs for care and support and how these impact on wellbeing
  • whether the young person or carer is likely to have needs for care and support after the young person in question becomes 18
  • if so, what those needs are likely to be, and which are likely to be eligible needs
  • the outcomes the young person or carer wishes to achieve in day-to-day life and how care and support can contribute to achieving them.

For children with special educational needs discussions about longer-term goals should start at Year 9 (age 13-14) and should be talked through at every Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan annual review from year 9 onwards, information about this can be found in Milton Keynes SEND Local Offer

Last Updated: 28 July 2021