Adult Social Care Funded Support (Financial Assessment and Charging)
The council does charge for care and support services (except where the law says that it cannot) however it must consider your ability to pay for or contribute towards the costs of your support, you may pay the full cost or the cost will be shared between you and the council.
In order for us to calculate the contribution that you will be expected to make you will be asked to complete a 'Statement of Financial Circumstances' and provide proof of your income, savings and expenditure. You can ask us for help to complete this by telephoning our Financial Assessment Team or, if necessary, you may be visited by a Financial Assessment Officer. Once all the relevant information is gathered we will calculate the amount, if any, of the contribution you will be required to pay towards the cost of your support.
The rules for Financial Assessment which all councils must follow, are set by the Government and are complex, they vary depending on if you are receiving support in your own home or if you are living in a care home, and there are upper and lower 'capital limits' which are set on an annual basis. As a general guide;
- If you have savings and investments (including any property you have an interest in other than your home address) greater than £23,250 you will be a full cost payer and will receive no financial support from the council.
- If you have savings or capital below £23,250 and above £14,250 you will be expected to contribute some or all of your income, plus an amount known as ‘tariff income’ from your capital, for any care and support services you receive through Milton Keynes Council.
- If you have savings or capital below £14,250 you will need to contribute towards the cost of your care and support from your income only. Depending on your income you may not need to pay anything towards for any care and support services you receive through Milton Keynes Council.
We have a Financial Contribution indicator built in to our Request for Care and Support, and Eligibility Checker this will give you an estimate of what you might need to contribute to your care.
The Council also applies flat rate charges for some services which are payable in addition to your assessed contribution, and these are listed below.
|Flat Rate Charge||Basis of Charge||Current Charge||From w.b. 31st July 2017|
|Laundry||Per bundle (10lb)||£10.13||£10.50|
|Meals at day centres||Per meal||£5.36||£5.40|
|Transport||Per return journey||£2.83||£4.00|
|Community Alarm and Telecare (charges for installation and rental)||Please see Community Alarm and Telecare Charges|
We have provided more information about how we calculate your contribution in our leaflets, please note we are currently updating these to take account of the changes in charging amounts.
- Charging for Care and Support in your own home
- Charges for Residential and Nursing Home Accommodation