Council Funded Support (Financial Assessment and Charging)

If you are eligible for care and support from Adult Social Care it is not automatically free, you may have to pay something towards the cost.

Our charges and your contribution

The council does charge for care and support services (except where the law says that it cannot) but it must consider how much you can afford to pay for the support you receive. You may pay the full cost or the cost will be shared between you and the council. The Council also has flat rate charges for some services, such as laundry, meals at Day Centres, Alarm and Telecare Sensors, which are payable in addition to your assessed contribution.

So that we can decide the contribution that you will be expected to make you will be asked to complete a 'Statement of Financial Circumstances' and provide proof of your income, savings and expenditure.  You can ask us for help to complete this by telephoning our Financial Assessment Team or, if necessary, you may be visited by a Financial Assessment Officer. Once all the relevant information is gathered we will calculate the amount, if any, of the contribution you will be required to pay towards the cost of your support.

Financial Assessment Rules

The rules for Financial Assessment which all councils must follow, are set by the Government and are complex. They depend on if you are receiving support in your own home or if you are living in a care home, and there are upper and lower 'capital limits'. As a general guide:
-  If you have savings and investments (including any property you have an interest in other than your home address) greater than £23,250 you will be a full cost payer and will receive no financial support from the council.
-  If you have savings or capital below £23,250 and above £14,250 you will be expected to contribute some or all of your income, plus an amount known as ‘tariff income’  from your capital, for any care and support services you receive through Milton Keynes Council. 
- If you have savings or capital below £14,250 you will need to contribute towards the cost of your care and support from your income only. Depending on your income you may not need to pay anything towards for any care and support services you receive through Milton Keynes Council. 

Getting an estimate of what you may have to contribute

We have a Financial Contribution indicator built in to our Request for Care and Support, and Eligibility Checker this will give you an estimate of what you might need to contribute to your care.  

You are advised to get independent legal and financial advice including welfare benefits advice in order to understand how financial assessment and charging may affect you. Contact details for these can be found by searching for "Advice and Information Services - Financial and Legal" in our Adult Social Care and Health Directory.

Useful links:

Last Updated: 28 July 2021