Charitable, welfare and benevolent associations

If you are experiencing financial hardship there are a variety of organisations that may be able to help you, depending on your personal circumstances.

There is a range of organisations which may help you if you are experiencing financial hardship.  The amount and types of help vary widely and can be given as cash, equipment or practical support.  You will usually need to meet certain criteria dependent on age, profession, illness or where you live to be able to apply for help and you may need an advice worker, social worker or health professional to apply on your behalf. 

The places where you can find more information include:

  • The Charity Commission - registers and regulates charities in England and Wales it provides a searchable list of regulated charities 
  • Turn2us - is a national charity that helps people in financial hardship to gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services.
  • Trade unions and professional associations - often have welfare funds intended to support members who are experiencing hardship.  You will need to contact a local representative, Human Resources or the headquarters for further advice.
  • Military / Public Services - often have a related benevolent/welfare association. Information is available from Human Resources, Pensions and social organisations.

If you need help to find a suitable organisation or to make an application you can approach local Advice Services or Support Groups. In Milton Keynes these include:


Last Updated: 28 July 2021