Independent Financial, Welfare Benefits and Legal Advice

Adult Social Care recommends that you obtain Independent Financial, Welfare Benefits and Legal Advice before you make major decisions about your care and support or ways to pay for it, especially if you are thinking about making major decisions such as moving into residential or nursing care.

You can find advice from the following sources:

Welfare Benefits:

You may be entitled to Welfare Benefits to help pay for your care and  support costs.  There's a range of benefits depending on your personal and financial circumstances.  For information please go to the Government website.


You can get impartial advice and information about your pension options from a free government service Pension Wise

Personal Legal and Financial Advice. 

You may also want to talk to a Solicitor or Financial Adviser when considering your options.  Always make sure that the service or person that you use is suitably qualified or specialist for the type of advice you need. Some Financial Advice can only be given by providers regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) this is called Regulated Financial Advice and is listed below:

Unregulated advice:

Regulated advice:

  • Welfare Benefits
  • NHS Care Funding
  • Budgeting
  • Local Authority Care Funding
  • Housing  Options
  • Deferred Payment Agreements
  • Understanding Ways to pay
  • Money Management
  • Understanding Care Charges
  • Debt Management
  • Care Fees planning
  • Tax Planning
  • Pensions/Pension Transfers
  • Financial Planning
  • Investments/Savings
  • Wealth Management
  • Equity Release
  • Mortgages
  • Property Options
  • Health/Life Insurances

To let a relative or friend act on your behalf: 

You should contact the Office of the Public Guardian, a financial adviser or a solicitor to set up formal arrangements such as a Power of Attorney 

The Council cannot recommend any particular service but we can give details of services who may be able to help (please note that you may be charged a fee for these services).

For more information about services to help you please use the Adult Care and Health Directory

Last Updated: 28 July 2021