Personal Care and Domiciliary Care (Home Care / Home Help)

If you are finding everyday tasks difficult you can get help with your personal care or domestic routines e.g. getting out of bed or a chair, moving around safely, washing yourself, dressing/undressing and help to have hot meals or drinks. This is called Personal or Domiciliary Care and it can be available during the day, in the evenings, at night and at weekends.

If you can pay for this support yourself you can make your own arrangements directly with:

  • a private agency
  • a self-employed individual
  • a personal assistant (employed by you)

If you cannot afford this support or cannot make your own arrangements you can contact Adult Social Care for information and advice.

Any help arranged directly by Adult Social Care will be subject to assessment and eligibility, if we agree to help you this may be from the Council's own Home Care service or we may arrange for you to have help from a local service, or give you a Direct Payment for you to arrange the support you need or to employ your own Personal Assistant

For more information please see:

- the Adult Social Care and Health Directory has a list of local Homecare/Domiciliary Care agencies or you can serach by the type of help you need e.g. housework, laundry.

- NHS Choices provides advice on choosing a care service and a search facility for care homes and care services. The information links to Care Quality Commission reports about the quality of each service.

- Care Quality Commission (CQC) - if someone provides personal care they must be registered with the Care Quality Commission which publishes information about registered services and inspection reports. (You can sign up to receive an e-mail alert when a new inspection report is published for a service provider you are interested in.)

Last Updated: 16 October 2018