Health, Wellbeing and Family
Adult Social Care Milton Keynes Council - assistance and guidance on assessing your needs, what help is available and assistance for carers.
Childcare in Milton Keynes - find out what the childcare options are across Milton Keynes including after school and holiday clubs.
Children with disabilities - find support that is available for families with disabled children.
Children's Education Advisory Service - provides expert and impartial advice about the education of service children.
Children, Young People and Families - information about services that may help you.
- Op COURAGE: The Veterans Mental Health and Wellbeing Service (PDF, 193KB) - mental health problems are common and can affect anyone, including veterans and their families at any time. If you or someone you know is struggling with their mental health or wellbeing, expert help is available, including a new emergency veterans high intensity service. Help is available whether you are due to leave the Armed Forces, have just left or left the Armed Forces many years ago.
You’ll speak to people who:
- understand the Armed Forces and military life
- are either from the Armed Forces community or highly experienced in working with serving personnel, reservists, veterans, and their families
- will work with you to make sure you get the right type of specialist care, support, and treatment
Find out more at the Op COURAGE section of the NHS website.
- Togetherall (formerly Big White Wall) can help you start to take control and get the support you need to feel better.
- Veterans Community Network (VCN) - to find out more, please see this videolink. The VCN have a simple self-referral page.
Discounts and further support
Armed Forces Covenant Fund Trust - find out more about available grant funding and schemes.
Veteran Recognition Cards - a recognition card to help armed forces veterans gain access to specialist support and services.
- If you are a member or a spouse/civil partner of a member of the Regular Armed Forces or Volunteer Reserves then you are eligible for the HM Forces Railcard.
- Doctors and Dentists. Find your local doctor and dentist in Milton Keynes. Some local General Practitioners (GP's) have received training to become Armed Forces Accredited practitioners. Please see scheme information and details of those with accreditation, including interactive maps.
- Leisure in Milton Keynes - information on leisure, tourism and culture in Milton Keynes including parks, open spaces, arts and heritage.
- Little Troopers is a registered charity supporting all children with parents serving in the British Armed Forces, regular or reserve.
- MKC HEROES is a national support group for the children of Service men and women and their relatives. At present there is no local school club in Milton Keynes.
- MK Dons Football Club and Milton Keynes Dons Sport and Education Trust (MK Dons SET)
- National Health Service (NHS) - the National Health Service provides a range of healthcare services and advice options for people.
- Readingforce are passionate about using books to bring Service children and families closer together.
- Relocating to Milton Keynes. Here you will find a range of services and links relating to relocating to Milton Keynes.
Local Drop In Services
The Veterans Community Network (VCN) local drop-in services which were halted during Covid will resume shortly.
The Royal British Legion also have drop-in services in the surrounding areas. Their Helpline is open from 8am-8pm daily and the freephone number from landlines and most mobile providers is 0808 802 8080.
Royal British Legion's Veterans Hearing Fund - help for those suffering from hearing loss or tinnitus.
Scotty’s Little Soldiers - a charity dedicated to supporting children and young people who have lost a parent whilst serving in the British Armed Forces.
Storybook Waves - helps members of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines maintain the link with their children by recording a bedtime story for them to listen to when a parent is serving away from home.
Supporting Service Pupils Moving Schools
Schools in Milton Keynes - find out about schools in Milton Keynes, how to apply for a school place and access to support services such as free school meals and school transport.
Service children are subject to mobility as a result of their parents’ service, there is good evidence to show that this mobility can have an impact on their education. Please refer to Directorate of Children and Young People's downloadable resource which can assist Service families when looking for a new school.
Veterans’ Healthcare - healthcare information and support for the UK's 10 million-strong armed forces community, including serving personnel, reservists, families and veterans.
Last Updated: 16 September 2021