Telecare Service - Alarm and Telecare Sensors
What does the Telecare Service offer?
The service is available for anyone, of any age who lives within the Milton Keynes Council area, who would like to feel safer or more independent at home, this includes anyone who:
- Is disabled or frail, has medical problems or is at risk of falls
- Has been discharged from hospital and requires additional support.
- Is at risk of domestic violence, harassment, repeat victimisation or distraction burglary.
The alarm consists of a “Base Unit” and a lightweight “Alarm button” worn as a pendant or on a wristband. Additional safety and environmental sensors (Telecare/Assistive Technology) can be added if a standard alarm unit cannot meet a specific need. This is decided by an individual assessment.
How the alarm works
If you need help you should press the button on the base unit, pendant or wrist band which will then ‘bleep’ and flash to let you know it has been activated. The base unit will then automatically connect to the Alarm Control Centre and the name address and contact details of the registered user will be displayed on the screen of one of our operators.
The operator will talk to you using the loud-speaker built into the Alarm Base Unit. They will try to find out why the alarm has been pressed and agree with you what help you need, this can include:
- calling a friend or relative who can come and help you
- sending a Care and Response Officer
- alerting the emergency services.
The base unit has a very sensitive microphone, you should still be able to hear the operator and they will be able to hear you. If you do not reply, the operator is unable to hear you, or it is not clear what assistance you need they will arrange for someone to visit you to assess the situation.
The Alarm can usually be installed within 2-5 days of being agreed and in urgent cases the same day. Installation is quick and easy and only needs an electric power socket, standard base units are also connected to a telephone landline but if not you will be provided with a Smart Hub which uses a SIM card similar to a mobile telephone. All base units are also fitted with a back-up battery, so if there is a power cut, it will still function for up to 12 hours. As part of our installation process we will:
- check that the alarm is working correctly, usually it has a range of 30 to 50 meters from the base unit (so may cover your garden)
- show you how to make a monthly 'Test Call'.
- ask for information so that we can set up your personal record, this includes relevant medical conditions and details of who can be contacted in the event of an emergency. This will be used to make sure we get you the right help when you need it and can be updated as necessary
There are two types of Charges for Alarms and Telecare:
- Installation – this is a one off charge.
- A weekly charge - this includes rental, 24-hour monitoring, Mobile Warden Response (when your contacts are not available), on-site maintenance and an annual visit where we check the equipment to make sure that it is working correctly and update your contact details. VAT exemption on weekly charges is available for those who are disabled or have a long-term illness.
Please complete Apply for Telecare - online form once this is submitted we will contact you to discuss your needs and arrange a mutually convenient time for any agreed installation(s)
PLEASE NOTE : The equipment that we provide remains the property of Milton Keynes Council. If the equipment is damaged or lost we will charge you for the cost of a replacement. If you no longer require our service all equipment must be returned to us.
Our Telecare Service is accredited and audited by the Telecare Services Association