Adults at Risk (Safeguarding)

If you have a concern about an adult at risk of abuse and they are in immediate danger you should contact the relevant emergency services by ringing 999. If the adult you are concerned about is not in immediate danger you should report your concern to Milton Keynes Council Adult Social Care.

Anyone can report a concern or abuse.

You can do this by telephone, email or complete an  adult safeguarding alert  (Professionals MUST complete this form).

If you are not sure if abuse is happening you can telephone Access to Adult Health and Social Care to discuss your concerns. 

Safeguarding is:

  • Protecting an adult’s right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect. It is about people and organisations working together to prevent and stop both the risks and experience of abuse or neglect, while at the same time making sure that the adult’s wellbeing is promoted.

An adult at risk is someone who:  

  • has needs for care and support (whether or not the local authority is meeting any of those needs)
  • is experiencing, or at risk of, abuse or neglect
  • as a result of those care and support needs is unable to protect themselves from either the risk of, or the experience of abuse or neglect.

Abuse can take many forms, including:

  • Physical abuse
  • Domestic violence
  • Sexual abuse
  • Psychological abuse
  • Financial or material abuse
  • Modern slavery
  • Discriminatory abuse
  • Organisational abuse
  • Neglect and acts of omission
  • Self-neglect
  • Hate crime
  • Cuckooing

Abuse can occur anywhere at any time and can be carried out by anyone, it can be a single act, repeated acts over a period of time or due to a failure to act (neglect). It can happen to one person, or several people at the same time.

Last Updated: 3 August 2020