Bulky Waste Collections
- How to arrange a bulky waste collection
- How much does it cost?
- How do we collect?
- What don't we collect?
- Terms and Conditions
How to arrange a bulky waste collection
To arrange a collection please call our Customer Services team on tel. 01908 252570. You will then be provided with a price, date and time for collection.
We cannot collect hazardous waste and items e.g. car batteries, tyres, sheets of glass or commercial waste.
For collection of large amounts of items it may be necessary for one of our officers to visit (in line with all current social distancing rules) to provide a quotation. Alternatively, items can be dropped off free of charge at our Household Waste Recycling Centres (the 'tips'), which are open but visits must booked on-line or by phone before you attend. You might consider hiring a skip by visiting Skip and Bin and type in your postcode for a price comparison of skip hire charges in your area.
If you need help accessing our services please let us know. This might be because you are hearing impaired and find it difficult to use the phone. Contact us via our online form, or email firstname.lastname@example.org provide a brief outline of the additional support you need and your preferred method of contact, and we will get back you within 5 working days. If you are emailing us, please could you put ‘Additional support’ in the title of the email.
How much does it cost?
The cost for the bulky waste collection is calculated using a points based system (this may include disposal costs where applicable). Small items have lower points values, while larger items have higher points values. When you call Customer Service on tel. 01908 252570 the cost will be calculated and confirmed before your booking is placed.
The charges are as follows:
- 1-3 points = £20
- 4-6 points = £40
- 7-9 points = £60
Every additional point costs £6.
- a chair is 1 point
- a sofa is 2 points.
So a chair (1 point) and a sofa (2 points) = (3 points) would cost £20
Two sofas (2 points each) = (4 points in total) would cost £40
For non-household waste (generally this is waste that you would not take with you when you move) there is also a charge to cover the cost of disposal. Although we can collect rubble, garden waste (not in green wheeled bins) and similar materials, it can be quite expensive and it might be more cost effective to hire a skip. Go to Skip and Bin and type in your postcode for a price comparison of skip hire charges in your area.
How do we collect?
All items booked for collection should be presented in an accessible location within the boundary of your property such as a garden, driveway or bin store by 7:00am on the morning of your collection. Please note: collection crews are not, under any circumstances, permitted to enter any property so your items must be left outside.
If you live in a council flat or a private flat within a council block, please place items for collection in the communal waste area. Do not place items outside your front door or on the landings (this is in breach of tenancy conditions and fire regulations).
The vehicles which collect bulky waste are separate from the vehicles that collect your clear and black sacks. We also collect white goods separately from other bulky waste.
See full terms and conditions below.
What don't we collect?
We do not collect hazardous waste, car batteries, tyres, sheets of glass or commercial waste.
Terms and Conditions
By agreeing your bulky waste collection you are accepting the terms and conditions below:
- Collections will be made on the first waste and recycling collection day after a 48 hour processing period. This does not affect your statutory rights and a 14 day collection period is available by calling our customer service agents on 01908 252570 and specifying that you would like a longer cooling off period.
- You may cancel your collection by phone at any point within the 14 day period up until 5:00pm on the working day prior to your collection (Monday to Friday). If you have chosen a shorter collection period you will only have until 5:00pm on the working day prior to your collection to cancel (Monday to Friday).
- If your next collection day is not appropriate, you can choose an alternative day for a £10 fee (subject to the 48 hour processing period).
- When you book your collection you will need to tell us exactly which items you would like removed. Any items not included on the list will not be taken.
- Items should be suitable for our two man collection crew to manually handle and should not be longer than 6ft in length to ensure they can be loaded onto a vehicle. Any items that are too large or that have not been dismantled to a reasonable point will not be removed and no refund will be given.
- All items booked for collection should be presented in an accessible location within the boundary of your property such as a garden, driveway or bin store, by 7:00am on the morning of your collection. Please do not put out bulky waste before it is booked for collection or before 5pm the day prior to your bulky waste collection booking as this could be considered fly tipping. We are not able to enter your house/flat/apartment or any outbuilding to collect any items.
- Items for collection must be emptied of their contents - fridges and freezers should not contain any food items and wardrobes/chests of drawers should not contain clothes, etc.
- If you live in a flat please place items for collection in the communal waste area. Do not place items outside your front door or on the landings (this is in breach of tenancy conditions and fire regulations).
- We are not able to make changes to your collection once it is booked. If the items change you will need to cancel your collection and rebook it for the next appropriate collection day. This may be the week following your original collection.
- Quotations provided by a Council Officer will be valid for a maximum of 21 days. After 21 days a new quote will be required to ensure that the materials we quote for are as described.
- We reserve the right to refuse a refund where items have not been presented in accordance with our terms and conditions.
Last Updated: 23 December 2020