Waste collections from business premises

The Environmental Protection Act 1990 requires businesses that produce waste to dispose of it in a legal way. Businesses need to either:

  1. Take their waste to a licensed disposal point themselves (provided they hold a waste carriers license); or
  2. Arrange for a collection via a registered waste carrier.

Whichever method you choose you should receive a 'duty of care' (DOC) note from either your contractor or the disposal site. This DOC note proves that you have complied with the legislation and disposed of your waste in a legal manner.

Milton Keynes Council does not operate a commercial collection service, although our contractor Serco operates a commercial service on our behalf.  To discuss commercial collections in the Milton Keynes area with Serco please contact 01908 372480.  Other contractors can be found by searching for "Waste Management" in local listing directories such as Yell, Thompson, Google or Bing.

If you are unable to locate a commercial contractor through a local listings directory, Milton Keynes Council can arrange for a waste disposal company to make collections from your premises at the contractors set rate (subject to an additional administrative fee)

A Trade Waste Facility is available for those businesses and traders who hold their own waste carriers licence at the Newport Pagnell Community Recycling Centre.  

If you want to find out more about your responsibilities in moving or disposing of waste or wish to apply for a Waste Carriers Licence the Environment Agency website has more information.

Last Updated: 17 September 2021