Hazardous waste

Waste is classified as 'hazardous' under environmental legislation when it contains substances or has properties that might make it harmful to human health or the environment

MK council cannot collect hazardous waste via the weekly bin collections or bulky waste collections, although some items can be taken to our Household Community Recycling Centres. Examples of hazardous waste include:

  • asbestos - please see further information below
  • chemicals, such as brake fluid or print toner
  • solvents
  • pesticides
  • oils (except edible ones), e.g. car oil
  • equipment containing ozone depleting substances, e.g. fridges

For the disposal of all other hazardous items please seek advice from a commercial service provider.

The Environment Agency provides technical guidance on the definition and classification of hazardous waste.


MK Council Environmental Health Department provides advice on asbestos.

Asbestos is accepted from MK residents at the New Bradwell Household Waste Recycling Centre but new legislation states it must be completely wrapped in plastic for the safety of members of the public and our staff on site. MK council cannot collect asbestos via the weekly bin collections or bulky waste collections, due to licensing conditions. Visits to the Household Waste Recycling centres must be booked in advance, either online or by telephone.

Alternatively, view the Asbestos Removals Contractors Association (ARCA) website which gives lots of advice and information for householders on the removal of hazardous waste as well as listing contractors who are UKAS accredited. 

Needles and Syringes

For information of how to safely dispose needles and syringes.

Return to the top


Last Updated: 31 January 2022