Council Tax Information and Bands
Council Tax Information 2021/22
- Council Tax Message from the Leader of the Council (PDF, 253KB)
- Your Guide to Council Tax 2021-2022 (PDF, 317KB)
- Police & Crime Commissioner for Thames Valley - Council Tax Leaflets 2021-22
- Bucks & Milton Keynes Fire & Rescue - Council Tax Information: 2021-22
- Walton Community Council - Budget Overview 2021-2022 (PDF, 186KB)
- Stony Stratford Town Council - Budget Overview 2021-2022 (PDF, 207KB)
- Bow Brickhill Parish Council - Budget Overview 2021-2022 (PDF, 107KB)
- Council Tax Explanatory Notes 2021/22 (PDF, 130KB) A paper copy of this is sent with the annual bill.
Council Tax Bands
Understanding your band
There are eight bands in total labelled A through to H. Each property liable for Council Tax in Milton Keynes has been allocated a band. The band is assigned based on the estimated value of the property at 1 April 1991.
- A Up to £40,000
- B £40,001 to £52,000
- C £52,001 to £68,000
- D £68,001 to £88,000
- E £88,001 to £120,000
- F £120,001 to £160,000
- G £160,001 to £320,000
- H £320,001 and over
Any improvements or alterations made to the property that may affect its value or band category will not be taken into consideration until the property is sold.
Remember, these are valuations as at 1 April 1991, they do not relate to the value of your home today.
Challenges against Council Tax bands
If you feel that your property is in the wrong band you may challenge it. If you make a challenge you must continue to pay your bill. You should not withhold any part of your Council Tax while your challenge is considered. If your challenge is successful, your bill will be adjusted and you will be refunded.
You can challenge within six months of:
- The Listing Officer changing the tax band your house is in
- The Court changing the tax band of a similar property to yours
- Becoming the new tax payer at an address
- The addition of a special interior feature for a disabled person which has not been taken into account and which reduces the value of the property
- If your house has been demolished and rebuilt
- If your house has been made into flats
- There have been physical changes to your area affecting the value.
In order to make a challenge against your banding you will need to contact:
- Postal address: The Valuation Office Agency, Council Tax Enquiries, Northgate House, Sheep Street, Northampton NN1 2LL
- Telephone: 03000 501501
- Email: email@example.com
For more information about challenging your band visit the VOA website.
Council Tax and business rates scams
Challenging your Council Tax band is free.
If you choose to appoint an agent to challenge your council tax banding, you should be aware that there are a number of fraudulent Council Tax and business rates agents operating around the country. More information on how to avoid falling victim to these scams can be found on the Gov.uk website.
If you make a challenge you must continue to pay your bill. You should not withhold any part of your Council Tax while your challenge is considered. If your challenge is successful, your bill will be adjusted and you will be refunded.
Last Updated: 14 September 2021