Information for European Citizens in Milton Keynes
In advance of the UK’s exit from the EU on 29 March 2019, the UK government has committed to protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members currently living in the UK. This includes the right to live here, work here and access public services such as healthcare and benefits.
To retain these rights after 31 December 2020, EU citizens must apply for UK immigration status under the EU Settlement Scheme. Further detail on the Settlement Scheme can be found on GOV.UK.
It means you continue to be eligible for:
- public services, such as healthcare and schools
- public funds and pensions
- British citizenship, if you want to apply and meet the requirements.
Am I eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme?
- You need to be an EU citizen or a non-EU family member of an EU citizen*.
- You need to be a resident in the UK by 31 December 2020. If you have been a resident in the UK for more than 5 continuous years you will be eligible for settled status. If you have been a resident for less than 5 continuous years you will be eligible for pre-settled status.
- You must not be a serious or persistent criminal, a threat to national security, or have a deportation order, exclusion
The EU Settlement Scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019, which provides 21 months to apply through - what the government promises - will be a simple process.
See presentations for more details. Updates and guides will appear as they are available.
The health and social care sector is participating in a pilot to test the application process. If you are an EU citizen and you work in the health and social care, you can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme pilot from 29 November 2018. See Pilot Document for more details.
Milton Keynes is an international Borough, as such the Council will continue to consider both risk and opportunities as the country exits the European Union. For more information regarding Milton Keynes Council’s EU Exit preparations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: 24 June 2020