Celebrating The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
In 2022, Her Majesty The Queen will become the first British Monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee, seventy years of service. An extended bank holiday is being held from 2-5 June so people across the nation can come together to celebrate this historic milestone. There are lots of ways local people can join in.
Platinum Jubilee Community Grant Funding
Milton Keynes Council and MK Community Foundation are pleased to announce the details of grants available for Parishes and Communities to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. This additional funding was agreed at the Council’s budget setting meeting on 9 February. More information about these small grants of between £250-£1,000, including how to apply is available here . Any questions or clarification should be directed to email@example.com.
The Queen’s Green Canopy
The Queen’s Green Canopy initiative asks people around the UK to ‘plant a tree for the Jubilee’ to create a living, green legacy. If you’d like to plant a tree in your garden, there’s useful advice on The Queen’s Green Canopy website.
In Milton Keynes, we are planting 500 trees including creating a new community orchard on a historic city centre site.
Public events in Milton Keynes
We’ll be publishing details of Platinum Jubilee public events and activities in MK on this page. If you’d like your event to be included, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thurs 2 June – Milton Keynes Council, Jubilee Parade and Ceremony – Midsummer Blvd/MK Rose, Campbell Park from 10.30
- Thurs 2 June – My MK Celebrations, Campbell Park (details TBC) from 11.00
- Thurs 2 June – Beacon lighting from 9pm in Campbell Park organised by The Parks Trust
- Thurs 2 June – Beacon Lighting, Hanslope Recreation Ground from 9pm
- Thurs 2 June – Beacon Lighting, MK Museum from 8.30pm
- Thurs 2 June – Beacon Lighting at Hindhead Knoll, Walnut Tree, at 9:30pm
- Thurs 2 June – Cream Tea at St Mary’s Church, 14.30 – 16.30, poster here (PDF, 2.9MB).
- Thurs 2 June - Community Beacon Lighting at Wavendon Recreational Ground, 19.30-22.30
- Thurs 2 June - Sunday 5 June – Flower and Cake Festival at All Saints’ Church, Loughton. 11.00 – 16.00 daily.
- Friday 3 June – Special Needs Jubilee Party at Stacey Bushes Meeting Place (Wolverton & Greenleys Town Council)
- Friday 3 June - Jubilee Festival - Bletchley Town Bowls Club from 14.00, Bletchley Town Bowls Club, Princes Way, Bletchley, MK2 2ER
- Friday 3 June – Community Picnic at the Wavendon Recreation Ground from 14.30
- Saturday 4 June – Hanslope Sports Day
- Saturday 4 June – Vintage Event in Newport Pagnell, High Street and Bury Common – 11am – 5pm
- Saturday 4 June – Platinum Jubilee Celebratory Party, Milton Keynes Museum (Wolverton & Greenleys Town Council
- Saturday 4 June – Little Brickhill Street Party, 12.00-14.30. More information here (PDF, 4.8MB)
- Sunday 5 June – Big Jubilee Lunch, 12.00-15.00 on the grass around Broughton Pub. View the Broughton and Brooklands Community Connectors Big Jubilee Lunch poster on this link.
- Sunday 5 June – Jubilee Big Lunch Picnic at Hindhead Knoll, 12 until 3pm
- Sunday 5 June - Milton Keynes Chorale - Crowning Glory - Milton Keynes Theatre, 7.30 pm
- Sunday 5 June – Hanslope Big Lunch Street Party on the High Street 12pm - 6pm
- Sunday 5 June - Big lunch at Wolverton Recreational Ground, Stony Stratford 1pm - 5pm.
- Sunday 5 June - Queens Platinum Jubilee Big Lunch at Leon Rec Park, 1pm – 6pm
- Sunday 5 June – Church Service at St Mary’s Church to commemorate The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee at 15.00.
Big Jubilee Lunch
You might want to hold a street party or picnic with family, friends and neighbours for the Big Jubilee Lunch on 5 June 2022.
Why not have a ‘tree party’ – a tea party to honour your favourite tree in Milton Keynes? The Tree Cathedral at Newlands is a lovely place to have a picnic and it has a mix of evergreen and deciduous trees, so it looks stunning at any point of the year.
If you are organising a street party and need a road to be closed, please complete the application form and email to TROteam@milton-keynes.gov.uk at least 3 weeks before your event. You will also need to send us any copies of letters issued to local residents and businesses.
Please note, while we make a charge to commercial organisations, we do not charge neighbours, parish councils and other not for profit groups who are holding an event.
It’s important that roads are closed formally and emergency services and transport operators are given ample notice for safety reasons. Access must be maintained for emergency vehicles at all times. Access to and from people’s properties must also be allowed at all times so you will need to factor that into your plans.
Add your event to the big lunch map - https://www.edenprojectcommunities.com/pop-your-big-lunch-on-the-map.
More information about the Queen’s Jubilee and local events
- Royal.co.uk - Plans announced for The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Central Weekend 2022
- MK Community Foundation - How you can celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee in 2022
- The Parks Trust - Plant a tree for the Jubilee
- Hanslope Jubilee Celebrations
- Newport Pagnell Town Council - what's on?
- MK Chorale - Crowning Glory
- HM The Queen's Platinum Jubilee - Wolverton and Greenleys Town Council
- Bletchley St. Martins Bowls Club
- Big Jubilee Lunch, Leon Rec
Last Updated: 6 May 2022