Your Vote

How to register to vote under the Individual Electoral Registration system
If you have recently moved or become eligible to vote you will need to register at GOV.UKYou need to provide your national insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure. Everyone is responsible for registering themselves.

How old do I need to be?

You have to be 18 years old in order to vote. If you are 16 or 17 years old you can register, but need to include your date of birth. You will be able to vote in elections as soon as you turn 18.

Back to top

Who can vote?

In order to register to vote you need to be a British or Commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland. If you are a citizen of a European Union country, other than Britain or Ireland, you can register to vote for local government and European Parliamentary elections only. Citizens of any other countries are not eligible to register. A list of eligible countries is in the related article on this page.

If you are in the armed forces you can register at home and have a postal vote or a proxy vote.

Residents of mental hospitals (unless detained under the Mental Health Act), homeless people and remand prisoners can register using a declaration of local connection. Convicted prisoners are not eligible to vote.

Back to top

How do I register to vote?

  1. Go to Register to vote on the GOV.UK website
  2. Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You’ll also need your national insurance number, which can be found on your national insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits.
  3. You will receive a letter from Milton Keynes Council to confirm that you are registered or if you need to provide further information.

To find out more visit Your Vote Matters information provided by Gov.UK 

Back to top

How do I vote by post?

You can choose to vote by post rather than going to your polling station.  An application is available in the related documents on this page. Fill it in and return it to us using the freepost address on the form or you can go on-line to register to vote by post. You will still need to send the completed form to the Elections Office.

Postal ballot papers will be sent out about 10 days before polling day. The Royal Mail treats postal votes as a priority.

Along with the instructions on how to return the postal vote is a statement on which you have to provide your date of birth and your signature. These will be compared with those you have already provided. This has to be returned to us, with the ballot paper, by the close of poll on election day.  A new form will be sent to you every five years for you to update your signature and confirm you want to continue voting by post.

If you change your name or signature after you have completed an application form please contact us so that we can send you a new form to update our records.

Back to top

How do I vote by proxy?

Proxy voting is when someone votes on your behalf if you cannot vote in person. You can vote by proxy for a particular election but if you want to vote by proxy for an indefinite period your form will have to give a reason and your form will have to be attested to confirm this.

If you would like someone to vote on your behalf, you can download a proxy vote application form from the Documents area. If the application is for a particular election then you will need to complete the form every time there is an election. If you want to vote by proxy for an indefinite period, for example if you work away a lot, then the form will need to be attested and the reason for wanting the proxy stated.

Back to top

Keeping your vote if moving abroad

If you are a British citizen and you are thinking of living or working abroad, you may still be able to register to vote at Parliamentary elections at your last address in the UK. Your right to vote in this country's elections can last for up to 15 years. At the time of an election you can choose to vote by post or proxy. To find out more go to Your Vote Matters 

Help And Advice

If you need help or advice you can contact the Electoral Registration Office using the details in the Contact area.

Back to top