Citizenship ceremonies are going virtual!
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and restrictions imposed by central government, we have taken the decision to move all citizenship ceremonies from small group ceremonies to individual, virtual ones.
We will be getting in touch with everyone who currently has a booking to ensure that they are aware of this change and how this affects them.
In order to participate in a virtual ceremony, you must be present in the UK and you will need access to either a computer, laptop or smartphone with a camera and microphone as we will need to be able to see you and your documents plus hear you either swearing or affirming the oath of allegiance.
During the call we will need you to show your Home Office letter as well as photographic ID plus proof of your address, such as a driving licence, to the camera so that we can see the details and we will need to check your address to ensure that your certificate is posted to your correct address.
We will also need to take a payment of £7.50 which will cover the cost of posting your certificate of naturalisation via Royal Mail Special Delivery as this will allow you to track your certificate and also ensure that you receive it as quickly as possible.
Please read the following information before contacting us to book your ceremony:
- Check the letter you have received from the Home Office, if it states that the Home Office will "send out your invitation and you will then be able to book a ceremony with your local authority" then you must wait until you receive your Home Office invitation letter before contacting us as this will only be sent to you once the Home Office have despatched your certificate to us;
- We can only book your ceremony if we have received your certificate of naturalisation from the Home Office. We are aware of delays with the despatch of certificates and we are unable to conduct a ceremony if we do not hold your certificate;
- We are only able to conduct virtual ceremonies for individuals who are in the UK so if you are currently overseas please wait until you are back in the UK before booking a ceremony.
In order to book a ceremony please email your full name, Home Office reference number and a contact telephone number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A meeting invitation will be sent to you via email, this will show the date and time of the ceremony and will include the following information:
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer of mobile app
Click here to join the meeting
When you click the link, you will be taken to Microsoft's website where you will be given an option to either download the Teams app or to join the meeting if you already have it.
To download Microsoft Teams
- click on the link, this will take you to your app store
- follow the instructions within your app store to download the free app
Once the app has successfully downloaded, go back to the email from us and click the "Click here to join the meeting" link again. You will then be prompted to open the Teams app.
Select "Join as a guest"
You will need to allow access to your device's microphone.
Type in your full name so we know who is waiting to join the meeting.
At the time specified on your invitation you will be admitted into the video session. Please also ensure that you activate the camera option as we do need to be able to see you, plus we will need to see your Home Office letter as well as your passport and valid driving licence showing your home address.
During the ceremony you will be asked to either swear or affirm the oath of allegiance. You will be able to find the words for each option on your Home Office letter, but please do not worry about learning this in advance as we will lead you through the process and will ask you to repeat the oath a few words at a time.
If the ceremony is for you and other members of your family, we will need to see the Home Office letters and photographic ID for each of you. Anyone over the age of 18 will need to say the oath but children under 18 don't need to, but they are welcome to join in should they wish to. We will need to see and hear all those over 18 saying the words so we may ask you to move slightly so that we can see everyone on screen.
We are unable to respond to individuals regarding their own specific applications, therefore if you have any specific concerns please direct your enquiries to email@example.com.
Last Updated: 13 January 2021