Time for Twos
If you are the parent of a two year old and are in receipt of certain benefits you could qualify for up to 15 hours of free childcare education each week. This could either be at a local nursery, pre-school or a childminder in your area. Funding is provided from the term after your child turns two.
Who is eligible?
Eligibility is based on parents who receive one of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-related Employment & Support Allowance
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
- Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credits with a combined family income of less than £16,190 before tax
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - with a combined family income of less than £15,400 a year after tax
- National Asylum Seekers Support (NASS)
- Guaranteed element of Pension Tax Credit
- Children of Zambrano Carers *
- Children of families with no recourse to public funds with a right to remain in the UK on grounds of private/family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights *
- Children of a subset of failed asylum seekers (supported under section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 – ‘the 1999 Act’) *
* A different application process is required, and cannot be completed using the two year old portal. If eligible, please visit your local children centre.
OR a two year old who
- Has a current Statement of Special Educational Need (SEN) or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
- Receives Disability Living Allowance
- Is looked after by the local authority
- Has left care through special guardianship or an adoption or residence order
- Has a family with no recourse to public funds
How do I apply?
You can register on the Parent Portal and find out if your child is eligible.
Following registration you will be asked to login to the Parent Portal to complete an application.
You will be notified of your eligibility immediately after you apply online and if you have additional evidence demonstrating you are eligible, please email this to email@example.com with the parent’s name, address, child’s name and date of birth.
The system is quick and simple to use and can be accessed via a smartphone or hand held device. If you qualify, please show the confirmation to your chosen childcare provider on your smartphone or print a copy.
If you wish to find out which providers in Milton Keynes accept two year old funding, please visit our childcare search page.
If you require assistance with making an online application, you can
- use our Time for Twos Online Application Guide (PDF, 645KB)
- call the Education Access Team on 01908 253338
- visit your nearest children’s centre and mention ‘Time for Twos’
- speak to your health visitor or someone supporting your family