Better Gas Safe than sorry

The approved code of practice and guidance which relates to the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 has been revised.

This approved code of practice and guidance relates to the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. The Regulations deal with the safe installation, maintenance and use of gas systems, including gas fittings, appliances and flues mainly in domestic and commercial premises.

The Regulations affect a wide range of people, from those installing, servicing, maintaining or repairing gas appliances and other gas fittings, to suppliers and users of gas, including some landlords.

The HSE approved class of persons that gas engineering businesses are required to be a member of changed from CORGI Gas Registration to the Gas Safe Register on 1 April 2009. This third edition has been produced to reflect the change and also updates references to appropriate standards, ACOPs, guidance and relevant information sources.

Who can undertake maintenance on gas appliances?

Anyone carrying out gas work must have a Gas Safe Register ID card. If not, they are breaking the law and putting you and your family at risk. Only use a Gas Safe Engineer.

Gas safety is one of the most important factors in having a safe home and workplace. Anyone employed to work on gas appliances in domestic premises must be Gas Safe registered and competent in that area of gas work. By using a Gas Safe registered engineer, and by checking the back of their ID card to see if they are qualified to do the type of gas work you want, you can be sure that any work completed by them will be done competently and safely.

HSE advises that you should arrange for regular maintenance and an annual safety check to be carried out on your gas appliances and installation by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Landlords have a legal duty to ensure that this is carried out.

Unsafe gas work can lead to a gas leak, fire, explosion and exposure to carbon monoxide, which could result in you, your family or friends being seriously injured or killed.

Better Gas Safe than sorry. Always check the card.

Go to the Gas Safe Register or phone 0800 408 5500 to find out more about how to make sure your engineer is Gas Safe registered and how to protect yourself and your family from unsafe gas work.

Environmental Health contact information

Postal address:, Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ