How to register a food business establishment

How to register

You can submit your form online using the Government’s online registration service.

Postal form

  • You can download, complete and return the food business registration application form to the address shown in the contact details on this page.
  • Please note that Regulation (EC) No. 852/2004 prescribes the content of the notification form.

Help with PDF files

Help for people with visual disabilities

  • Adobe Accessibility is a resource designed to help people with visual disabilities work more effectively with Acrobat software.
  • Please visit their website for further information Adobe Website.

Am I required to submit any additional documents?

  • You are not required to submit any additional documentation.

Is there a charge for registering a food business?

  • There is no fee for registering a food business.

Can my registration be turned down?

  • Local authorities do not have the power to refuse a food business registration.

Should I expect an acknowledgement?

  • We do not send confirmation that a food registration form has been received as a matter of course.
  • If you would like confirmation that your form has been received, you can email us and we'll confirm the status by return email.

How long will it take for my registration form to be processed?

  • We aim to complete the administration surrounding a new registration form within 28 days, however there is no statutory time frame.
  • If the form is sent to the wrong address your application will not take effect until it is received at the proper place.
  • If you use establishments in more than one local authority area, you must register with each local authority separately.

If I don't hear from you for 28 days, can I assume it's been granted ('tacit consent')?

  • Yes.
  • Local authorities cannot refuse to accept a registration form from a food business establishment.
  • If you have not heard from the council by the end of the 28 day target completion period you will be able to act as though your registration form has been received and your application granted.

What happens next?

  • On receipt of an application for registration, the form will be marked with the date of receipt.
  • If applications are not for premises within the area of the district, the form will be immediately redirected to the appropriate registration authority.
  • The applicant will also be notified as to which authority the form has been redirected to.
  • All registration forms received for food business establishments in the Milton Keynes area will be checked against the council’s premises database.
  • If the premises record already exists, then the form will be used to amend the details as necessary.
  • If the premises is new, then an entry will be created for the business on the database.
  • The form will be passed to the appropriate enforcement team.
  • The food registration files will be maintained to permit verification of the information supplied, if queries arise at a later date.

If a stamped addressed envelope is received with the application form, acknowledgement of the form's receipt will be sent.

When a requested application has not been returned to the authority within 28 days, the appropriate officer will make contact with the client to determine its current state.

How long does the registration last and what is the renewal procedure?

Once you have registered with Milton Keynes Council, you need to notify us of the following:

  • A change of food business operator (the new food business operator will have to complete an application form).
  • If the nature of the business changes.
  • If there is a change of the address at which a moveable premises is kept.
  • If the business closes.

If the local authority wishes to change the entry in the register because of information which it receives from someone else, you will be given 28 days notice and an opportunity to comment on the proposed change.

How can I contact the council about a change of circumstances?

​Can I see a register of food business establishments?

  • A register of addresses and the type of business carried out at these establishments will be open to inspection by the general public.
  • Records of the other information provided will not be publicly available and will not be disclosed outside of the council, local government departments and government agencies.
  • The details will be used for the purpose of registration, enforcement and the protection of public funds.


  • The public register is available for inspection in a hard copy format.
  • Officers may not disclose any other information other than that on the public register.
  • From time to time, the authority may decide to update the register by mail shots, business directories, media sources, etc.


  • If copies of the register or individual entries are requested by members of the public, a charge will be made.
  • Charges will depend on the current fees and charges schedule.
  • When copies are reasonably requested by an officer of another enforcement authority, the charge may be waived at the discretion of the Regulatory Unit Inspections Team Leader.
  • All enquiries should be requested by email.

Environmental Health contact information

Postal address:, Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ