Why should I report?

Reporting accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement. The information enables the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and local authorities (referred to as ‘the enforcing authorities’) to identify where and how risks arise and to investigate serious accidents. We can then help and give you advice on how to reduce injury, ill health and accidental loss.

I’m self-employed so how does this apply to me?

If you are working in someone else’s premises and suffer either a major injury or an injury which means you cannot do the full range of your normal work for more than seven days, that person will be responsible for reporting your injury, so you should make sure they know about it.

If you are working in your own premises and

  • you or a member of the public is injured; or
  • there is a dangerous occurrence; or
  • a doctor tells you have a work-related disease or condition; you need to report it.

As a self-employed person you don’t need to notify immediately if you suffer a major injury on your own premises. However, either you or someone acting for you must send in a report form (F2508) within ten days.

What do I need to report?

HSE Information can be found on Information regarding reportable incidents.

How do I report?

For more information, check the HSE website.

What records do I need to keep?

You must keep a record of any reportable injury, disease or dangerous occurrences for three years after the date on which it happened. This must include:

  • the date and method of reporting
  • the date, time and place of the event
  • personal details of those involved
  • a brief description of the nature of the event or disease

Guidance on keeping records

You could, for example, choose to keep your records by:

  • keeping copies of report forms in a file
  • recording the details on a computer
  • maintaining a written log

You can keep the record in any form you wish.

If you use the Internet or phone to report, you may not have your own copy of the official reporting forms (F2508/F2508A). To help with this, you will be sent a copy of your own report and given the chance to correct any errors in it.

Is that all?

If you would like to have more information to hand, a guide to the Regulations is available and can be downloaded for free at Yes – for most people with duties under the Regulations the information contained on this website is all that you need to know.

If you would like to have more information to hand, a guide to the Regulations is available and can be downloaded for free from this link

Environmental Health contact information

Postal address:, Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ